Howdy! I'm your debt helper
Collect America: 4 Steps to tackle collection calls and lettersRate This Article:
Collect America, better known as SquareTwo Financial, is a financial organization based in Denver. The company purchases debts from the biggest creditors of the country and then collects payments from people. The company deals with several types of consumer accounts such as secured debts, retail accounts, credit cards, credit lines, etc.
Collect America - What community members have to say about them
A lot of community members have dealt with Collect America. They have shared their experience and feedback in forums. Read along to know what the community members have to say about the company.
- Scare tactics: A community member has opined that the company uses scare tactics to get money from consumers. In several cases, the debt has been paid long time back, yet the company calls consumers for payments. They are also accused of having wrong information about the consumers.
- Vague information: A member has complained that the company does not give the correct contact information. Apparently, the company sends papers which inform that they are only safeguarding the privacy rights of the consumer.
- Useless collection calls: A consumer received a call from Collect America one day. The consumer couldn't receive the call. When the consumer called them during the night, all she heard was an automated voice demanding to know her SSN and account number. The consumer din't give any information and called back in the next day. The company couldn't give any information about the consumer.
- Letters regarding invalid debt: There's yet another complaint regarding the Collect America company. The company sends letters to consumers regarding invalid debt. A consumer received letters for 4 years regarding a debt of a person who didn't live in his/her house.
There are several other complaints against the company. For instance, the company sent a letter to a consumer who had discharged all his debts through bankruptcy. Another consumer said that he received letter from the company regarding the debt of his deceased mother. The funny part was his mother had left the world 10 years ago.
Tips to deal with Collect America
If you're receiving several letters from Collect America regarding debts, then follow these tips to deal with them smartly.
- Don't reveal your SSN number: Don't reveal your SSN and account information over the phone. It'll be a mistake to reveal your confidential information over phone since the company may use it to harm your financial life.
- Send a Cease and Desist letter: If you're receiving letters from Collect America regarding an illegitimate debt, then check out the sample Cease and Desist letter and send it to them via certified mail.
- Contact the State Attorney General: If the company is harassing you regarding a debt, then feel free to contact the State Attorney General as soon as possible. The State Attorney General's office will investigate the case and take the desired action.
- Notify your bankruptcy attorney: If you're receiving calls and letters regarding a debt discharged through bankruptcy, then notify your attorney regarding it. The attorney will tell you about the steps you need to take to handle the matter.
Collect America Aka SquareTwo Financial
4340 S. Monaco, Second Floor
Denver, CO 80237
Toll Free Number: 877-304-0146