Skip to main content
index page

Gerald E. Moore and National Arbitration Forum

Submitted by on Sat, 04/08/2006 - 17:07
Credits:
[Donate]

My husband got a Gateway computer financed by MBNA. He signed up over the internet, never signed any paperwork, and got the computer. He quit paying MBNA, and the account defaulted Oct. 2004. Apparently, the account was purchased by Worldwide Asset Purchasing, LLC.
We've received a couple of letters from the "Law Offices of Gerald E. Moore & Associates, PC" regarding the debt. The amount that they were demanding was more than what my husband's account balance was at the charge-off date. He chose to ignore the letters, since I've seen on different websites how close to illegal these so-called lawyers are.
Today, he got a certified letter I signed for. According to the paperwork, Worldwide Asset Purchasing is "represented" by Gerald Moore. Here's what it says, on the first page, in bold.

RESPONDENT(S): THIS IS AN ARBITRATION CLAIM AGIANST YOU FOR MONEY OR OTHER RELIEF. YOU HAVE 30 DAYS TO SERVE THE CLAIMANT WITH A WRITTEN RESPONSE. IF YOU DO NOT SERVE THE CLAIMANT AND FILE WITH THE NATIONAL ARBITRATION FORUM A WRITTEN RESPONSE, AN AWARD MAY BE ENTERED AGAINST YOU.

Here's another line.
"Respondent(s)is/are indebted to Worldwide Asset Purchasing, LLC, as successor in interest to MBNA America Bank, N.A., for interest accrued since the time of charge-off in the amount of $1955.03."

Since when can the collection agencies charge interest?

I got on the National Arbitration Forum website that was provided with everything. It talks about these "cases" not having to go thru the courts, yet Gerald E. Moore also tacked on over $1K worth of lawyers' fees to my husband's total.

We live in Indiana, if that helps. What's up with this arbitration group? If there was no card, then there was no card agreement where my husband agreed to go to arbitration to settle outstanding debt. Any advice?

I cannot believe all the people that these people continue to rob. I owed a total of 4500 from an old credit card bill that was discharged debt. Upon consolidating my outstanding bills I included this balance to be payed to GEM. Now that I have paid 3800 of the balance I inquired of the outstanding balance and was told that i had been paying on the interest all this time.
I will not allow this , and am fighting it, would like to hear from others that this has happened to.

Submitted by on Thu, 04/24/2008 - 13:24

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Welcome to the community. As a consumer you have the right to choose if your payment is applied to interest or if it is applied to the principal. This is your right per FDIC as a consumer. Also, it sounds like like they are trying to step outside the law as the interest they may charge is that of the contract if it is still an open account or permitted within the contract and also if your state law does not prohibit it. Otherwise it would be 6% per federal cap, also only applicable if your state law does not prohibit it. If it was $4,500 and you paid $3,800 in interest it sounds like almost 100%+ apr. Which would be illegal per usury laws.

I would suggest sending a debt validation letter (you can find a good template via my signature, be sure to send the enclosure with it) send it certified mail, return receipt requested.

Submitted by JCEMT on Fri, 04/25/2008 - 05:25

JCEMT

( Posts: 2934 | Credits: )

Hi Guys,

Just though i would say Hi!, sorry if this is the wrong section mods!

cheers

User name edited due to advertising content, please refrain from posting content designed to advertise for third parties.

~JCEMT

Submitted by on Thu, 09/18/2008 - 13:23

You have been warned once, post without a URL in your name and without advertising for a pharmacy per the site TOS or do not post at all. This is your final warning.

~JCEMT

Submitted by on Fri, 09/19/2008 - 12:20

look up the statued of liability in accordance to what state your in and that is what the law is to go by no matter what the lawyer is asking plus the liable amount in accordance to the age of the product and the value look it up state to state

Submitted by on Fri, 10/31/2008 - 11:03

Have received a letter from the Law Offices of Gerald E. Moore which indicate we supposedly signed the arbitration Form. I need the phone number of those law offices. My lawyer has recommended that we obtain a copy of this "signed" form. How can we get a copy?

Submitted by on Tue, 11/18/2008 - 07:43

if this company World Wide asset purchasing was purchased by West asset managing on 1/3/05 how can they file a law suit against me.tTheir not even in bussines anymore?

Submitted by on Fri, 02/06/2009 - 08:10

I have just learned this company is suing me,and they are no longer in business.Plus I just learned the SOl is 5yrs,in my state. I have been in default since approx 2004.what do I do?

Submitted by on Fri, 02/06/2009 - 08:54

My wife, age 72, whose only income is soc. security and is mentally ill and diagnosed and suffering from dementia has had a claim filed against her thru National Arbitration Forum by Mann Bracken of Atl. Ga. on behalf of Chase Bank. A Chase rep told me that the account had been closed and probably been sold. I signed for the mail and she knows nothing of this due to her condition as her doctor advised not to discuss anything that could cause her stress..What should I do?

Submitted by on Fri, 06/26/2009 - 17:43

My manager recently approached me with a binding arbitration agreement. While everyone else just signed without reading, I instead brought it home for my girlfriend to look over because it sounded "fishy." Basically what my girlfriend summed up for me is that by signing this agreement, I am signing away my constitutional rights. She said I would not be able to hire a lawyer and would not be able to have a trial by jury ect ect. One of my co-workers asked my manager what would happen if he didn't sign the agreement, and he replied with "they'll find some way to fire you" so he signed it. I am not ok with signing this paper, but I also NEED my job. Is this legal to coerce me into signing this?

Submitted by on Thu, 09/03/2009 - 15:44

Yes , Gerald Moore is real i use to work for West Asset Management & Gerald is or was there Attorney also his office was right next door he a a short white man with a very nasty sick attitude and gets a kick out of suiting ppl!

Submitted by on Tue, 12/21/2010 - 20:27