Skip to main content
index page

Ex checking credit report

Submitted by 2nband on Fri, 02/16/2007 - 10:39
Credits:
[Donate]

Here is the situation ~ my brother is going through a divorce. He is pretty sure his ex is constantly checking his credit report because of comments she makes about things that she should not have any knowlege of. He is needing to find out how he can see if she is doing it or not. He has already tried contacting all 3 credit bureaus, but cannot get a live person to talk to. He has sent letters explaining what he thought was going on and all he gets back is his report has got a watch on it. He is pretty sure she is doing this online, but he needs to get proof some how so he can go after her for this. After being married for 6 years, she has all his personal information. He says he wants to get it stopped, but is just having a hard time. We even called the SS Administration and there was told there was othing they could do.

Is there any fraudulent activity in your brother's credit done by his ex? I guess, then only you can notify the bureaus about the identity theft and ask the SSA to change his SSN#. Then want to see hard proof of something fishy that happened to your identity.

Submitted by Steg on Fri, 02/16/2007 - 13:06

Steg

( Posts: 390 | Credits: )

She doesn't seem to be using his ss number for anything other than to keep track of what he is doing and what his credit report is showing, at least so far anyway. He is just trying to prove that she is doing this and getting his report by pretending to be him. Funny thing is, both their first names are practically the same. If she takes a few letter off her first name, it is his first name. He has been trying to get a hold of the companies to see how many times "he" has looked at his report, how it was paid for, and where it was mailed/emailed to and he just cannot seem to get a hold of someone at any of the places to talk to them. He said he is tired of her butting into his business, especially when it comes to his credit report, which he says is none of her business.

Submitted by 2nband on Fri, 02/16/2007 - 13:57

2nband

( Posts: 2277 | Credits: )

Oh, she knows this alright and he has spoken to her about it, but she denies that she is doing this so now he is trying to prove that she is doing this. He said the last time his credit report was pulled was when he was in the process of buying his house and not since. He said that he has not requested a copy of his credit report or anything like that, so any requests are by someone else and he said he sure wouldn't request it online. He thinks if he can get a hold of the credit reporting agencies that they should be able to tell him if it has been pulled, how it was paid for, and where it was sent either by regular mail or email. I don't think that it will show on his report if one trys to pull it personally, only if you are applying for credit. I have been trying to find information on the internet on how he could find out and thought I would mention it here too to see if anyone had any ideas on how he could do this.

Submitted by 2nband on Fri, 02/16/2007 - 15:33

2nband

Also, most of the decent credit monitoring packages alert you every time your credit report has been accessed. I'm not sure if they tell you who accessed them, but some might. It would cost him money each month, but it might be worth it to catch his ex. I had signed up for one a few years ago for the free credit report and forgot to cancel. I got an email every time someone checked my credit report. If I remember correctly, the one I was with did say where the inquiry came from. I think it was freecreditreport.com, but I'm not positive. He should do a google search for credit monitoring and call the companies to see how much info they give you for the price . . . . .

Submitted by goudah2424 on Thu, 02/22/2007 - 07:02

goudah2424

( Posts: 7935 | Credits: )

I believe he put a flag on his credit report, but not sure who he went through because he said something about it costing him a little bit of money. I just can't believe that the TransUnion, Equifax, or Experian cannot tell him when his credit report was pulled, even if it were for personal use or whether or not the report was paid for with a credit card or where if the report was sent via email or USPS. He is getting very frustrated and evidently there is more stuff going on....having to do with his bank account, which the bank is investigating. I know he is very careful not to give any information out to anyone, but he has a feeling this also has to do with his ex, so we will see. I will mention to him about maybe pulling his own credit report from all 3 places and seeing if it shows anything.

Submitted by 2nband on Thu, 02/22/2007 - 07:39

2nband

If he really feels his ex is behind all this he really needs to go to the police and file a report . . . . She may be on her way to stealing his identity and doing serious damage to his credit. Although she may not have done anything like that yet, the possibility is too great. He may also want to consider hiring an attorney. They could advise him on how to best proceed with changing his ss# and other info so that she cannot do this.

Submitted by goudah2424 on Thu, 02/22/2007 - 08:10

goudah2424

( Posts: 7935 | Credits: )

Call each credit bureau and place fraud alert in his file. If your state allows,inform each bureau you are placing a security freeze on files too. Next he needs to do as he was instructed and file charges with police. If she is pulling there will be a notation on his report under inquiry section that gives record of who pulled and date it was done.

Submitted by cajunbulldog on Thu, 02/22/2007 - 08:40

cajunbulldog

( Posts: 4850 | Credits: )

Just a little update here on some of the progress. My brother found out that his ex was NOT in his bank account (which he is relieved about), but it seems that somehow money was coming out of his account going nowhere! It was like it was sitting out there in Lala land and doing nothing. I guess the bank is trying to get all his money back and he is pushing them to reverse the OD fees. He does not have OD protection, so some of his checks were returned and I told him to push the bank to reimburse him for the fees he had to pay for the checks being returned too.

As far as the credit report goes, he was told unless he has some type of proof that his credit report was being accessed without his knowledge, no one could do anything. I am not sure who all he has talked to, so I have no idea who told him this. He said he has called the credit reporting agencies and they told him the the only records they would show for his report being pulled is if an inquiry from a company showed up, not from someone checking it on line. I don't know what he is going to do. I told him the next time his ex made a reference to something that she shouldn't know anything about when it comes to his credit and such to confront her and as her how she seems to know so much about what he has going on! What is sad is that anyone can get anything about anyone if they really want it and want to pay for it. The information is out there for all to see and that really stinks!

Submitted by 2nband on Wed, 03/07/2007 - 08:28

2nband