Skip to main content
index page

Hurricane Gustav check-in.....

Submitted by skydivr7673 on Sat, 08/30/2008 - 21:10
Credits:
[Donate]

hey all,

I had to evacuate today--we packed up the kids and the dog and ended up in Little Rock, Arkansas. The hurricane is supposed to make landfall pretty close to our house, so it wasnt a question of if, but when to leave. Anyone else had to take off, or planning to? Post up in here so we can keep track of everyone.

We're planning to spend at least a few days here, long enough hopefully to see what the next storm, TS Hannah, is planning to do. If that one goes into the Gulf, we're gonna be hanging out here for that one too I guess. Wish us luck--we lost our house and nearly everything we owned in Katrina, and are hoping to avoid a repeat....

cajun most likely evac'ed well before the storm came, they announced that 96% of all rigs in the gulf were shut down and evacuated before the storm came.

I just got word that there was massive wind damage in the areas around my town. two towns that are within 15 mins of home have trees and power poles down and buildings collapsed all over the place, some of the buildings are simply gone. This isnt making me feel too good about our chances, but at least we got out safely. Insurance will handle the rest, i suppose. We lost everything in Katrina, so hopefully we got a break this time.

Submitted by skydivr7673 on Mon, 09/01/2008 - 14:45

skydivr7673

( Posts: 2036 | Credits: )

Sorry I'm late coming into this, but I hope everyone evacuated sooner rather than later, or if they chose to stay, they were able to ride out the storm in safety.

I see now that the storm wasn't anywhere near as bad as predicted, having weakened considerably before making landfall, and then quickly downgrading from Cat. 4 to Cat. 1. There's damage, to be sure, but nothing like what they were preparing for. Better to be prepared and not need it than to not be and need it urgently! I hope all are safe and well, and will check in with us when they can.

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Mon, 09/01/2008 - 18:44

SUEBEEHONEY70

( Posts: 4583 | Credits: )

i just was thinking that too,ike is a coming.hope everyone stays safe.

Submitted by paulmergel on Wed, 09/10/2008 - 06:04

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )

skydivr here--we made it back fine last saturday to find only minor damage to the house. A bunch of shingles blown off and the fence all around the back yard is now assuming the prone position, but that seems to be about it. But I work in a plant, and for some reason they arent shutting anything down for Ike, although we arent in the direct path we are still in a spot that will get some good winds. So I am at work right now, where I will be the next three nights after tonight too...hoping that this weekend will not be too bad out here.

Good luck to all you guys and gals that are looking Ike in the face....keep us posted!

Submitted by on Thu, 09/11/2008 - 18:07

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )