Share post
member profile picture

Credits: 0
[Donate]

I received a letter this week that a Human Resources employees' personal computer was stolen in a apparent burglary attempt late last month. That computer contained a company file with the Names, Birth dates and Social Security numbers of 30,000 employees.

The company has arranged for affected employees to have a year of Equifax 3 in 1 credit monitoring for free. I have taken this offer and signed up. In addition I have taken a precautionary extra step of placing a temporary fraud alert with the three CRA's (my company recommended this action). I also had previously sign up for ID Theft insurance through my homeowners insurance.

To my knowledge, no one has yet tried to use my information to open any new accounts. My question is, are there any other steps I should take to protect my self or make it easier if or when someone tries to use my information? There was about a 10 day lag between when the computer was stolen and when I was notified and signed up for the credit monitoring.

The one big thing that I'm concerned about is the fact that filing anything against an employer is an uphill battle no matter who is wrong. I hope everything gets set right!

Sub: #11 posted on Tue, 05/16/2006 - 08:19

Jedi Mistress Ari Jedi Mistress Ari

(Posts: 2192 | Credits: )

Quote:
The one big thing that I'm concerned about is the fact that filing anything against an employer is an uphill battle no matter who is wrong.

I wasn't saying filing a police report against your employer, but just to make sure all the procedures are being followed by the employer.

Sub: #12 posted on Tue, 05/16/2006 - 08:24

Teleport Teleport

(Posts: 1388 | Credits: )

Quote:
would also recommend getting a copy of the police report. Even though it was your works computer, it contained your personal information on it. The report number should be public info anyways.

That is the kicker. It wasn't a company computer. It appears it was this employees personal computer which had this file on it (they of course did have authorization to have the file). Of course the company isn't releasing their name, so getting a hold of the police report (a different city and state than where I live) would be nearly impossible.
I am wondering if I should file a report with my local police? But what exactly am I reporting? That something might happen??

As for the SSA.. I had a social security card stolen about 10 years ago, and I no longer pay into SSA, but I will check into it. I do still receive the earnings statements (though they haven't changed in 7 years) ..

Sub: #13 posted on Tue, 05/16/2006 - 09:56

LCW LCW
Moderators
(Posts: 1151 | Credits: )

Page loaded in 1.203 seconds.