Skip to main content
index page

Is it CBE Group collections who calls me from 319-274-1902?

Submitted by tippy1959 on Wed, 04/12/2006 - 06:04
Credits:
[Donate]

Hello, received a call from this number....I think it is a collection agency, but I have been unable to identify it....can anyone help? Blessings, Melissa

I called it for you...It sounded like it said, "CVE"

Anything on your credit report to that effect?

Submitted by Jessi on Wed, 04/12/2006 - 06:55

Jessi

( Posts: 3361 | Credits: )

Thanks for checking,Jessi. I went ahead and called them back....the company is CBE Group, and they are a collection agency. They are based in Waterloo, Iowa, and are collecting on my Citibank Shell account. They also have a website, which they were willing to give me, cbegroup.com. They did hassle me somewhat...proposed a 2 payment proposal, which I told them would not fit our budget, then they took a bunch of financial information so that they could work out a stretched-out payment plan...when the first rep went to crunch the numbers, another rep came on the line to work out payment arrangements, just as large as before. I asked what the financial information was taken for, and he said this is how they came up with the alternate payment plans, none of which were what I had in mind. We finally settled on a 4 payment repayment plan. All in all, they seemed to be a typical collection agency. Blessings, Melissa

Link made inactive as per forum rules-Mike

Submitted by tippy1959 on Wed, 04/12/2006 - 07:00

tippy1959

( Posts: 49 | Credits: )

tippy1959,

cbe group needs to vaildate the debt. Never give a collection agency your financial information. I have had trouble with them because we couldn't pay the payments they were wanting and I wouldn't agree to the amount they were proposing. I told them I have no desire to work with them, I would work with the original creditor and I am and the payment is alot cheaper than what CBE Group wanted. Did they send you a letter within the 5 days of talking to you? IMO, go ahead and send them the debt validation letter by certified mail with return receipt requested.

Submitted by Not so Lucky on Wed, 04/12/2006 - 07:15

Not so Lucky

( Posts: 3041 | Credits: )

The real reason for asking for the financial info was to see if you have anything they can put a lien on,etc. Be real careful giving out any extra info such as bank account info, cars you own,etc.

Submitted by on Wed, 04/12/2006 - 08:18

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Anything you say can, and will, be used against you in a court of law.

Search this website (lower left of the page, under "forums") for information about "demand for validation" or "demand for verification" or "fdcpa". Lots of good advice available.

Submitted by Virginia-Legal-Defense on Wed, 04/12/2006 - 08:22

Virginia-Legal-Defense

( Posts: 260 | Credits: )

Also they may ask questions about bills you have such as cell phone bill, cable bill,etc. Do not give them that info if you have that stuff...they will use that against you in court. CA's believe if you do not have the money to pay them ,that you should not have a cell phone or cable bill. This will look bad on you in court. So, be careful. I would not give out ANY info to these people other than verify what they already have on file. They do not need all that info to work out a payment plan...they just want it to use against you.

Submitted by on Wed, 04/12/2006 - 08:26

You are exactly right guest. They intimidate people to the point that the debtor thinks they have to give all information. When they call here and want personal information, I tell them that they must not actually have the account if they need personal information and they hang up.

Submitted by Not so Lucky on Wed, 04/12/2006 - 08:41

Not so Lucky

Thank you to all for the good advice. I went right along with them and answered their financial questions, and I now see how this could be used against me if they so desired. I won't be so stupid next time around. Thanks to all for your wisdom and experience....it is such a good feeling knowing I can ask anything here and not be ridiculed or made to feel like a loser.....you are a wonderful group of people. Take care, Melissa

Submitted by tippy1959 on Wed, 04/12/2006 - 08:48

tippy1959

( Posts: 49 | Credits: )

We are all here to help people. Not judge them or make them feel like a loser. If you have a question, post it and someone will answer or try to answer it for you. Just remember we have all been in the same situation.

Submitted by Not so Lucky on Wed, 04/12/2006 - 08:51

Not so Lucky

I don't know what the business is, but a male named Matt leaves messages.

Submitted by on Fri, 05/26/2006 - 15:47

I'm sorry but not all agencies are out to get you and ruin your life by making you honor your debts.

If your credit card isn't charged off yet but in collections and you have an agency calling you then you need to contact the credit card agency and ask them where your card is place. Contact that agency, write your letter of validation if need be.. but you should also keep in mind that while waiting for them to reply you are collecting intrest late fee's and possibly an over the limit fee. Depending on the balance of the card you could be collecting fee's from 30-200 dollars a month if not more.

Most agencies who actualy follow the rules are apart of the BBB. Do a little research. You obviously have access to the internet so do a search on the company. Pull your credit report as well if you haven't gotten your free one or go to the CBR websites and purchase one.

If you are not satisified with the information you have found out about the company write them a cease and desist letter which they will forward to their client and place it with another agency.

I'm not saying the debt validation letter is a bad idea. It's not. But durring the thirt plus days you get one (allowing for 3-5 business days of mailing time from you and them from them) it is higly likely that you are going to be hit with a shot of late fee's along with a side of intrest with an over the limit fee to follow as a tastey dessert.

And I'm not talking about credit cards that have been charged off already. I am talking about precharge off. There is a HUGE difference.

If you are in entirely too much debt your best option then might be to go with a credit counseling service when they dispurse payments you make to them to each agency owed. But the most important part of this is to be sure, 100% sure you have an accepted proposal. Not all but most companies will work with you.

Submitted by FYI on Sun, 05/28/2006 - 07:52

FYI

( Posts: 1950 | Credits: )

This number 319-274-1902 appears on the caller ID as an "Iowa Call", but you are given the number 866-239-6098 as a toll free return number. The 319-274-1902 is a land line unlisted telephone number from Waterloo, IA.
Matt and Erika have left messages.
Turns out it was a BP/Amoco, now Citibank balance of less than $30 from over six months ago when we changed addresses.

Submitted by on Thu, 09/21/2006 - 13:44

I Have been called by CVE Group numerous times and harrassed somewhat on an account I have already "settled" by a third party. They clearly have broken Texas state law by continuing to call and harass me and will be reported to the Texas state Attorney General's Office.

Submitted by on Thu, 04/26/2007 - 18:22

I get called once a day for someone who moved from here 2 years ago. They say to hang up if you are not the one they say they want to speak too. Their website does not give you an email address to let them know this. They say email is illegal for debt discussions but I do not owe anyone. I guess I will send a registered letter but that should not be necessary as they should have a way to contact them if they are calling the wrong number.

Submitted by on Thu, 03/26/2009 - 08:54

319-274-1902 started calling me today 06/08/2009 over an old Amoco gas bill from Feb 2000. This was supposed to be included in a bankruptcy but the lawyer we hired missed a total of 3 accounts and this was one of them. NEVER NEVER NEVER admit to any debt they ask about even if you owe it as this causes the statute of limitations to be re-started as of the day you acknowledge anything. Amoco never once in 9 years ever tried to contact me and now CBE is, however, Florida statute 95.11(3)(p) states that after 4 years they have no legal leg to stand on. They try to talk over you and force a payment by threatening your credit. If you get dragged into court you must use the Statute of limitations expired defense. Look up your state attorney general to find your state statutes. Fair debt collection act states if you tell them to stop calling they must, that does not mean they will stop their efforts to collect but if you end up in court and your limitations are up say so in court and that should be the end of it.

Submitted by on Mon, 06/08/2009 - 15:52

This is CB GROUP COLLECTIONS. Watch out from them when they call they tell you that you owe money on a past due accout when the account was paid off. It's all late fees or interest. I asked for information on the account and they say they mailed it, they never did. My card was paid in full and they tell me it wasn't and they want a cc# to pay it off. Not happening, so be very careful with the company.

Submitted by on Tue, 09/01/2009 - 14:48

This is hilarious. In the past 3 weeks i have recieved over 50 calls from them. I continually aked them to top calling me They did not care. I just called CBE group almost 200 times . They had a police officer call me back and threaten to arrest me. I told him if they keep calling me i will keep calling them back. He said they wont. I think I just created a way to stop harrasing call. KEEP CALLING THEY WILL LEAVE YOU ALONE......The officers name is Vaultier from waterloo IOWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Submitted by on Tue, 09/29/2009 - 11:53

This @ss holes call my phone each and every day- I have ringer off- and I see their calls on my computer each day. I call them back to decline ( I owe nobody!!!) their robocalls and get put on hold!!. I thought written permission was needed form caller to be allowed sending robocalls. they may p/ss me off pretty soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous
I get called once a day for someone who moved from here 2 years ago. They say to hang up if you are not the one they say they want to speak too. Their website does not give you an email address to let them know this. They say email is illegal for debt discussions but I do not owe anyone. I guess I will send a registered letter but that should not be necessary as they should have a way to contact them if they are calling the wrong number.

Submitted by on Wed, 10/21/2009 - 12:39

Waterloony Iowa police: "calling to make a robocall arrest!!" Heeeeee.
The have no Jurisdiction outside their lil cow pasture!! I have been contacting the FCC about this folks. Wish me luck!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous
This is hilarious. In the past 3 weeks i have recieved over 50 calls from them. I continually aked them to top calling me They did not care. I just called CBE group almost 200 times . They had a police officer call me back and threaten to arrest me. I told him if they keep calling me i will keep calling them back. He said they wont. I think I just created a way to stop harrasing call. KEEP CALLING THEY WILL LEAVE YOU ALONE......The officers name is Vaultier from waterloo IOWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Submitted by on Wed, 10/21/2009 - 12:43

I guess, most of the persons pictured, all are employs. I would write your congressperson, so they will not get their government contract renewed!! They collect for the IRS-believe it or not!!!!!!!!

This is a very possible , class action, and I recommend you save all phone call records folks.

El Shaman

Submitted by on Wed, 10/21/2009 - 13:20

I'm sick and tired of these people calling and hanging up all hours of the night and day.

Here are two more numbers they call from

301 882 9922

800 289 3355

704 970 1936

This people have no respect what so ever. I'm sick and tired. They keep harrassing me morning noon and night.

This has got to stop

Submitted by on Thu, 01/21/2010 - 05:36

This CBE Group in CA is trying to say I signed a Dish contract and I did not. It is a case of mistaken identity and they won't give up.

Submitted by on Thu, 01/21/2010 - 13:33

I've been getting calls from 319-833-1308. They ask for my husband and they always call when he's at work. They're also cve and when I ask what they want they say we need permission from your husband in order to talk to you. I asked him about it and he said he doesn't owe anyone anything. What should I do next time they call?

Submitted by on Fri, 08/20/2010 - 08:00

Settled last bill with VERIZON in July 2011.  Finally they Verizon stated they resolved whatever issue it was with my account and sent me a refund of $86.05 in November of 2011.  I only noticed there was some derogatory comment from Verizon on my free credit report that I ran on Dec.31,2012.  

I was reluctant to call Verizon because they have such poor customer service that I would rather say it "doesn't exist!" Finally I did call and again put through the same process as I had experienced back in July, August, and September of 2011.  I just want them to remove their comments from my credit report which effects my overall rating.  I do not repeat  "do not" owe Verizon a single penny!    I believe they made an administrative error and rather than admit and correct the problem I guess it is easier to blemish a customers credability!  

Submitted by on Wed, 01/02/2013 - 20:54