Skip to main content
index page

Wage Garnisment Laws in Ontario

Submitted by on Wed, 08/09/2006 - 11:03
Credits:
[Donate]

Could someone tell me what the percentage is a company can garnish your wages for (percentage of your pay cheque)? Minimum and Maximum? After a judgement has been given? If a notice of motion is filed, does that stop all garnishments or is my employer still required to pay?

Thank you.

Found this on the Ontario Ministry of Labor website:

Quote:

Net wages subject to garnishment

7. (1) For the purposes of this section,

???wages??? does not include an amount that an employer is required by law to deduct from wages. R.S.O. 1990, c. W.1, s. 7 (1).

Disability payments included

(1.1) For the purposes of this section, payments from an insurance or indemnity scheme that are intended to replace income lost because of disability shall be deemed to be wages, whether the scheme is administered by the employer or another person. 1999, c. 12, Sched. B, s. 18.

Exemption from seizure or garnishment

(2) Subject to subsection (3), 80 per cent of a person's wages are exempt from seizure or garnishment. R.S.O. 1990, c. W.1, s. 7 (2).

Idem, support or maintenance

(3) Fifty per cent of a person's wages are exempt from seizure or garnishment in the enforcement of an order for support or maintenance enforceable in Ontario. R.S.O. 1990, c. W.1, s. 7 (3).

Judge may decrease exemption

(4) A judge of the court in which a writ of execution or notice of garnishment enforceable against a person's wages is issued may, on motion by the creditor on notice to the person, order that the exemption set out in subsection (2) or (3) be decreased, if the judge is satisfied that it is just to do so, having regard to the nature of the debt owed to the creditor, the person's financial circumstances and any other matter the judge considers relevant. R.S.O. 1990, c. W.1, s. 7 (4).

Judge may increase exemption

(5) A judge of the court in which a writ of execution or notice of garnishment enforceable against a person's wages is issued may, on motion by the person on notice to the creditor, order that the exemption set out in subsection (2) or (3) be increased, if the judge is satisfied that it is just to do so, having regard to the person's financial circumstances and any other matter the judge considers relevant. R.S.O. 1990, c. W.1, s. 7 (5).

Employer may pay into court

(6) Where an employer receives notice of a motion under subsection (4) or (5), the employer may pay into court the part of the person's wages that is not exempt from seizure or garnishment under subsection (2) or (3), as the case may be, and the judge on the hearing of the motion may make such order for payment out of court as is just. R.S.O. 1990, c. W.1, s. 7 (6).

Wage assignments

(7) Subject to subsection ( 8 ), an assignment of wages or any part of them to secure payment of a debt is invalid. R.S.O. 1990, c. W.1, s. 7 (7).

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/English/90w01_e.htm

Submitted by erzeke1 on Wed, 08/09/2006 - 11:29

erzeke1

( Posts: 1145 | Credits: )

I am the employer of a commissioned real estate sales representative and I have just received a garnishment for him from Small Claims Court.
No one, including the Court can tell me the percentage that is to be deducted from his commissions.
Could you please help, I have been on all of your websites and cannot find this information.

Submitted by on Mon, 10/06/2008 - 10:21

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

I had took out money from my line of credit while I was on social assitance. I owe around $10,000. I recently was deemed disabled as of november and I can no longer keep up with the payments, and I can't do any type of work due to my condition. Am I legally exempt from the 10,000? I live in windsor ontario

Submitted by on Tue, 02/03/2009 - 18:12

we are not versed in canadian law.best to google a site that knows canadian law.

Submitted by paulmergel on Tue, 02/03/2009 - 18:14

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )

I am a self employed contractor and a Garnishee has been served on one of the clients I work for. Could you tell me what percentage of my earnings are subject to the Garnishee

Thank you

Submitted by on Mon, 07/06/2009 - 09:47

I have a court order that say that my ex is to pay me so much a month till his debt to me is paid. He is refusing, how do i go about garnishing his wages? Forms and stuff?

Thank you!

Submitted by on Wed, 07/29/2009 - 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymous
i am the employer of a commissioned real estate sales representative and i have just received a garnishment for him from small claims court.
No one, including the court can tell me the percentage that is to be deducted from his commissions.
Could you please help, i have been on all of your websites and cannot find this information.

a commission is not a wage. It is an account payable by you and an account receivable by your sales rep. Therefore the amount to be paid into court is 100% of the commission payable after deductions, if applicable.
It's the same as garnisheeing a bank account. All of the money is seized up to the amount of the garnishment.

Submitted by on Fri, 06/04/2010 - 06:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymous
i am a self employed contractor and a garnishee has been served on one of the clients i work for. Could you tell me what percentage of my earnings are subject to the garnishee
thank you

as it's an account receivable, it's 100%.

Submitted by on Fri, 06/04/2010 - 06:07

I currently earn $475 net per week. One third goes to child support another 20% goes to one creditor by garnishment and another has rendered a judgement against me. Consumer proposal is not optional and a bankruptcy will put my life insurance license under review which I just started as a second job and is also being garnished from any commissions I earn up to 20%. Due to the extreme financial hardship this leaves me in can I ask the court for a reduction in garnishment from the creditors and does each creditor get to take 20% to a maximum of the 50% I earn. 85% of $475 leaves me with nothing after I fill my car with gas.

Submitted by on Thu, 02/10/2011 - 17:36