Skip to main content
index page

How to Moderate Spams !!! New Addition

Submitted by Jason on Thu, 09/10/2009 - 06:02
Credits:
[Donate]

Delete Spam Posts in all forums using a single window
!!

We have added a Moderators section to disallow spam posts in the forums. The spams will first come in the Moderators Section from where you will need to delete the spam posts.

Process.
Once you click on the Moderators section (Members Area - Special Tools) from the right side bar panel, you will get five options namely..

Control Panel Home

============
Moderation
============

Moderate Threads
Moderate Posts
Moderate Attachments
Moderate Events
Moderate Visitor Messages

Click on Moderate Threads/Moderate Posts respectively. (On clicking you will get list of spams posted in various forums)
after each post select the delete option
then click on the save button.
the spam posts will get deleted and will not make it to the forums.

If you want to allow any post in the forums you need to select the Validate option and click on the save button.

Jason

Hi and thanks so much for adding this option, it's been fantastic and a lot quicker! I have a question though. Do these moderated posts that show up in the Moderation control panel also show up in the general forum? I've noticed I only see them in the Moderation control panel and not in the general forum where it seems they are originally posted? How in the world does this little thingie figure out the spam from the REAL posts? I'm curious. lol Also, when I click on a smiley to place in my posts it doesn't show up. I know that isn't important but I thought I would let you know!

Submitted by Shazzers on Thu, 09/10/2009 - 20:46

Shazzers

( Posts: 17344 | Credits: )

I like it! Shazz - no, I found they are not visible to the general forum. It has to do with posts being approved / unapproved (approved show in the forum, unapproved show up in the mod section). I tested a little and found that if you check a post and then "unapprove" it - then it will show up in the newly created moderators section (and it disappears from the original thread). Then if you go into the mod section and validate that post, it shows back up in the original thread.

Quote:

How in the world does this little thingie figure out the spam from the REAL posts?
Magic.... No, it takes a lot of programming. The system has to run posts through a filter, which analyzes the text and compares it to a set of "rules" which are pre-defined. For example, it probably looks for garble (ie rtekjhafduet), certain keywords (like Vi*gra), it might analyze links, etc etc. It looks for whatever it's programmed to look for. If a post matches one of those rules, then it is considered spam and unapproved to be moved to the mod section.

Submitted by DebtCruncher on Thu, 09/10/2009 - 22:24

DebtCruncher

( Posts: 2293 | Credits: )

nicely explained DC !!

Also know.. How to delete spam posts in one go !!

To speed up the deletion process you need to click on the Delete button (you will find it on top under Posts Awaiting Moderation) and then again click on the Save button (find below). But this process should be followed only when you are sure that all the posts are spams.

Else it will always advisable to select the delete option after each posts. i.e Action Validate .Delete Ignore and then click on the Save button.
P.S - The above function is used to delete spams from existing threads.

If any spam comes up in any new thread you need to follow the above mentioned steps i.e select delete and save but this time the buttons will appear under Threads Awaiting Moderation section.

Jason

Submitted by Jason on Fri, 09/11/2009 - 01:54

Jason

( Posts: 2430 | Credits: )

Quote:

I click on a smiley to place in my posts it doesn't show up.
Shazz click on the Go Advanced button from the Quick Reply section or click on the Post Reply button (above Quick Reply) to avail those :cool: :D :p ;) ..

We will work on [More] emoticons. :)

Jason

Submitted by Jason on Fri, 09/11/2009 - 02:09

Jason

( Posts: 2430 | Credits: )

[QUOTE=DebtCruncher;468672]I like it! Shazz - no, I found they are not visible to the general forum. It has to do with posts being approved / unapproved (approved show in the forum, unapproved show up in the mod section). I tested a little and found that if you check a post and then "unapprove" it - then it will show up in the newly created moderators section (and it disappears from the original thread). Then if you go into the mod section and validate that post, it shows back up in the original thread.

Magic.... No, it takes a lot of programming. The system has to run posts through a filter, which analyzes the text and compares it to a set of "rules" which are pre-defined. For example, it probably looks for garble (ie rtekjhafduet), certain keywords (like Vi*gra), it might analyze links, etc etc. It looks for whatever it's programmed to look for. If a post matches one of those rules, then it is considered spam and unapproved to be moved to the mod section.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to think it's magic. lol Thanks for the explanation, it help a lot.

Submitted by Shazzers on Fri, 09/11/2009 - 10:57

Shazzers

( Posts: 17344 | Credits: )