Watch Video: Find out the 5 ways to repay and consolidate debt
Howdy! I'm your debt helper
What does the community offer you?
- Information on how to become debt free
- Resources on various debt relief options
- Credit counseling
- Debt consolidation
- Debt settlement
- Credit repair
- Tips to deal with debt collectors
- Forums where you can discuss your financial issues
- Tools, letters and budgeting application
Truth or Myth - Debt consolidation is good for your financial life
Debt consolidation is good for those people who are unable to satisfy their financial liabilities and want to replace multiple unsecured bills with a single monthly payment plan. This debt relief option helps you pay less on interest rates and save money.
You can consolidate debt in the following 2 ways:
- Debt consolidation program - This is where a company helps you organize an easy and budget-friendly single monthly payment plan.
- Debt consolidation loan - This is where you take out a loan to pay back your multiple creditors instantly. You make a single and low monthly payment for loan consolidation.
Apart from the above mentioned ways, you can also transfer balance from one credit card to another one at an introductory low rate. This helps you consolidate debts into one single card and save money as well. Check out the do's and don't of credit card balance transfer.
If you've lots of questions regarding consolidation, then check out our FAQ section.
Real and smart debt plans to manage your finances
Apart from consolidation, there are 4 other debt plans that can help you get financial freedom. Check out the plans to know which one will be the best for you.
- Debt settlement: This option helps you take control of your financial life by paying a reduced amount up front. You can use a debt settlement calculator to find out how much to pay and save.
- Debt management: This option helps you save on the interest rates after attending a debt counseling session. You get a smart budget plan that helps you reduce expenses and make payments to creditors.
- Interest arbitration: In this debt plan, you obtain a secured loan and repay your loans with higher interest rates. You'll have to make only one payment every month on the new loan.
- Bankruptcy: This option is the best when you want to pay back your creditors under court supervision.
There are 2 types of bankruptcy you can file depending upon your income and financial liabilities.
- Chapter 7 bankruptcy - This bankruptcy plan helps you pay back your creditors within 3-4 months. It is more properly known as straight bankruptcy.
- Chapter 13 bankruptcy - This bankruptcy plan helps you repay your bills 3-5 years. You need to have a regular source of income for passing the means test.
You can go through a comparison chart on various debt relief options to understand the best available option. If you want to know how much you can save through various options, then check out the calculators section.
Debt consolidation - How much you can save
There's no fixed amount that you can save through consolidation. You can have a look at the following example to know how much you may be able to save after getting the debt service.
Your total balance on credit card A (20%) - $25,000
Your total balance on credit card B (10%) - $15,000
Your total balance on credit card C (15%) - $20,000
Your current average interest rate - (20% + 10% + 15%)/3 = 15%
Debt counselors negotiate with creditors and interest rates are lowered to:
Credit card A - 15%
Credit card B - 8%
Credit card C - 10%
So, your revised average interest rate is (15% + 8% + 10%)/3 = 11%
This means you're saving 4% on interest rate.
If your total credit card bill amount is $50,000, then your total savings will be - (4% * 50000) = $2000
How right advice on debt consolidation helps you save money
The debt consultants of America are of the opinion that you need to act very carefully in order to regain complete control on your financial life. The debt consolidation success rate is undoubtedly very high. There are instances wherein people have been able to save as much as 60% by following the 8 tips.
- Formulating a budget based upon your income and expenses
- Spending money as per your budget
- Making single monthly payments
- Abstaining from useless expenses
- Refusing new credit card offers
- Co-operating with the counselors
- Making extra payments whenever you can
- Getting help from a good company
You can have a look at our list of reliable companies and choose the one which gives you debt assistance at an affordable rate.
DebtCC Wiki: How to manage debt and avoid scams
You may face debt problems at some point in your life even if you have been managing your finances well. It may be that you have experienced a financial hardship or some other financial emergency. However, when you are neck deep in debt, all you want is suitable ways to resolve it. Here are some debt resolutions options, some of which you can do on your own and some are of with professional help. DIY debt resolution options Here are 3 debt relief strategies by following which you c...Posted by tiarajoseph11 on Nov,27 2013
Knowing how to consolidate debt properly may not be as simple as it seems. The idea of debt consolidation is amazing, the ability to combine all of your payments into one, who would not want to be a part of that. Although, there are some companies out there that may scam individuals, as well as, take advantage of the fact that they are in a vulnerable situation. Before making a decision, everyone should consider a few things. Will It Help You Save? Clearly when someone is considering applying for ...Posted by Joy Mali on Nov,25 2013
There are a lot of people who take several loans and later on cannot manage them. If not dealt with time, this can lead to delays and default in payments. Debt consolidation is the best way to get out of the mess and pay your debts easily. These are separate loans which are taken to repay all the other loans you have taken. These loans help you repay all your debts by paying off all the debts and leaving you with just one consolidated debt. The amount you are supposed to pay after consolidating the lo...Posted by Sofiya on Oct,18 2013
Most people want to have good credit. They will work hard to keep their credit score as high as possible. The problem is that most people do not know how the credit reporting agencies calculate their credit score. They might not even realize that there are three major reporting scores and each one calculates the credit score differently. There is also another credit score called the VantageScore 3.0 that is being used and could become a major factor in people’s credit history. Instead of guessi...Posted by Joy Mali on Oct,08 2013
Bill consolidation helps you repay bills at lower rates and saves you thousands. Know how to protect your rights using bill consolidation laws.
It may take a lot of time to get a response from the illegal payday loan companies. Wait patiently and send more mails till you get a reply.
Non profit debt consolidation services may need you to pay lower fees. Check out the benefits and ways to avoid scams in non profit debt consolidation.
Check out how to consolidate your debts with a credit card consolidation or a payday loan consolidation program and make your life stress-free.
Christian debt consolidation services use biblical principles of honesty and commitment to financial obligations while providing Christian debt relief.
DebtCC Answers: Get expert debt advice
Community Discussions on Debt Consolidation
- 1commentsSep, 17 2013 by OHardship
- 1commentsCategory: Collection agencies and creditorsAug, 16 2013 by Unregistered
- 2commentsAug, 08 2013 by Unregistered
- 2commentsAug, 02 2013 by Unregistered
- 1commentsJul, 23 2013 by Unregistered