Watch Video: Find out the 5 ways to repay and consolidate debt
What does the community offer you?
- Information on how to become debt free
- Resources on various debt relief options
- Credit counseling
- Debt consolidation
- Debt settlement
- Credit repair
- Tips to deal with debt collectors
- Forums where you can discuss your financial issues
- Tools, letters and budgeting application
Truth or Myth - Debt consolidation is good for your financial life
Debt consolidation is good for those people who are unable to satisfy their financial liabilities and want to replace multiple unsecured bills with a single monthly payment plan. This debt relief option helps you pay less on interest rates and save money.
You can consolidate debt in the following 2 ways:
- Debt consolidation program - This is where a company helps you organize an easy and budget-friendly single monthly payment plan.
- Debt consolidation loan - This is where you take out a loan to pay back your multiple creditors instantly. You make a single and low monthly payment for loan consolidation.
Apart from the above mentioned ways, you can also transfer balance from one credit card to another one at an introductory low rate. This helps you consolidate debts into one single card and save money as well. Check out the do's and don't of credit card balance transfer.
If you've lots of questions regarding consolidation, then check out our FAQ section.
Real and smart debt plans to manage your finances
Apart from consolidation, there are 4 other debt plans that can help you get financial freedom. Check out the plans to know which one will be the best for you.
- Debt settlement: This option helps you take control of your financial life by paying a reduced amount up front. You can use a debt settlement calculator to find out how much to pay and save.
- Debt management: This option helps you save on the interest rates after attending a debt counseling session. You get a smart budget plan that helps you reduce expenses and make payments to creditors.
- Interest arbitration: In this debt plan, you obtain a secured loan and repay your loans with higher interest rates. You'll have to make only one payment every month on the new loan.
- Bankruptcy: This option is the best when you want to pay back your creditors under court supervision.
There are 2 types of bankruptcy you can file depending upon your income and financial liabilities.
- Chapter 7 bankruptcy - This bankruptcy plan helps you pay back your creditors within 3-4 months. It is more properly known as straight bankruptcy.
- Chapter 13 bankruptcy - This bankruptcy plan helps you repay your bills 3-5 years. You need to have a regular source of income for passing the means test.
You can go through a comparison chart on various debt relief options to understand the best available option. If you want to know how much you can save through various options, then check out the calculators section.
Debt consolidation - How much you can save
There's no fixed amount that you can save through consolidation. You can have a look at the following example to know how much you may be able to save after getting the debt service.
Your total balance on credit card A (20%) - $25,000
Your total balance on credit card B (10%) - $15,000
Your total balance on credit card C (15%) - $20,000
Your current average interest rate - (20% + 10% + 15%)/3 = 15%
Debt counselors negotiate with creditors and interest rates are lowered to:
Credit card A - 15%
Credit card B - 8%
Credit card C - 10%
So, your revised average interest rate is (15% + 8% + 10%)/3 = 11%
This means you're saving 4% on interest rate.
If your total credit card bill amount is $50,000, then your total savings will be - (4% * 50000) = $2000
How right advice on debt consolidation helps you save money
The debt consultants of America are of the opinion that you need to act very carefully in order to regain complete control on your financial life. The debt consolidation success rate is undoubtedly very high. There are instances wherein people have been able to save as much as 60% by following the 8 tips.
- Formulating a budget based upon your income and expenses
- Spending money as per your budget
- Making single monthly payments
- Abstaining from useless expenses
- Refusing new credit card offers
- Co-operating with the counselors
- Making extra payments whenever you can
- Getting help from a good company
You can have a look at our list of reliable companies and choose the one which gives you debt assistance at an affordable rate.
DebtCC Wiki: How to manage debt and avoid scams
According to the Bureau of Labour Statistics, in U.S, workers were paid a fair amount of money per week in the year ending of 2012. There was a 4.7% increase in wage from 2011. However, the overall statistics says ,wages have been falling since 2012. This situation has forced the low paid workers to get into poverty.According to EPI (Economic Policy Institute) report, workers are suffering for the poor wage distribution. In recent times, two county (Manhattan and Los Angeles County) witnessed severe fal...Posted by good.nelly on Jun,26 2014
With regards to your personal finances, 2014 might offer you the best chance to leverage the low interest rates and get out of debt as soon as possible. Since the economic catastrophe in 2008, the Federal Reserve has made continuous monthly bond purchases in order to keep interest rates exceptionally low and boost consumer borrowing and spending. With the US economy refurbishing itself, the Fed is gradually pulling back on its bond purchases (tapering). In anticipation of this decision of the Fed, the lon...Posted by amy.nickson1986 on Feb,11 2014
You may face debt problems at some point in your life even if you have been managing your finances well. It may be that you have experienced a financial hardship or some other financial emergency. However, when you are neck deep in debt, all you want is suitable ways to resolve it. Here are some debt resolutions options, some of which you can do on your own and some are of with professional help. DIY debt resolution options Here are 3 debt relief strategies by following which you ca...Posted by tiarajoseph11 on Nov,27 2013
Knowing how to consolidate debt properly may not be as simple as it seems. The idea of debt consolidation is amazing, the ability to combine all of your payments into one, who would not want to be a part of that. Although, there are some companies out there that may scam individuals, as well as, take advantage of the fact that they are in a vulnerable situation. Before making a decision, everyone should consider a few things. Will It Help You Save? Clearly when someone is considering applying...Posted by Joy Mali on Nov,25 2013
Settling your debts requires grit and planning. This is because you’ll have to speak to your creditors all by yourself to convey your financial troubles and make them see reason. Besides that you al...
How to repair your bad credit in simple and easy steps Have you gone through some serious credit troubles in the past? Do you want to make a fresh financial start since lenders are not interested to ...
What is debt settlement and how does it work? Debt settlement basically refers to the process wherein creditors accept a fraction of the total outstanding balance from the debtors. The settlement a...
True, the path to credit repair is always full of trials and tribulations, not to say of ignorance and misconceptions. To get a better credit score, you may have to fix past financial problems, deve...
Different types of credit accounts Understanding different types of credit accounts (especially the ones that are opened during a marriage) can help you sneak a peep into the possible pros and cons. ...
DebtCC Answers: Get expert debt advice
Community Discussions on Debt Consolidation