Skip to main content

Can identity fraud increase my tax?

Submitted by Erica on Tue, 04/12/2016 - 05:10

Hi, I’m Erica. Identity fraud. No, I haven’t been a victim. But I wonder how to avoid being a victim. Does it happen only if I use public computer? I'm worried, can it also increase my tax?

Here are the possible options for you to avoid being a victim of Identity fraud.

a) Take steps to protect your records by not carrying your Social Security card or other documents with your SSN on them. GIve your SSN if it’s necessary and you know the person requesting it. You should protect your personal information at home and protect your computers with anti-spam and anti-virus software. Routinely change passwords for Internet accounts.

b) Don’t get into Scam traps . The IRS does not demand payment without first mailing you a bill. Don't be threatened by phone calls from someone claiming to be from the IRS. Report suspicious incidents to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) at 1-800-366-4484.

c) Avail IRS Service Options. Information relating to tax-related identity theft is available online. IRS have a special section devoted to identity theft and a phone number available for victims to obtain assistance.

d) The fraudsters creates fake IRS or accounting websites to con unsuspecting taxpayers into filing their returns with full of personal information—online. Be aware of such moves.

Submitted by on Tue, 04/12/2016 - 17:19

( Posts: 21 | Credits: )

You should protect your computers both at home and public. It is not only about public computers

Submitted by on Wed, 04/13/2016 - 21:25

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )