Skip to main content
index page

Default Judgment for CC debt

Submitted by ilibizzyili on Wed, 03/07/2018 - 14:33

I'm in Ohio for reference.... So I was sued by Javitch block back in 2011 for an unpaid cc debt. I was never "served" and did not know about it until years later. The information on the public record shows they mailed it to a prior address several times and apparently were able to get a default judgement after no response. Skip to today. I have no negative information pertaining to this on my credit reports. I just received a letter from Javitch block stating they will accept half of the original debt. Should I pay?

Reasons that I may not want to pay/ Concerns:
1. Do I have a foot to stand on since I never received the summons?
2. I am worried that when I pay, it will than show up on my credit report and remain there for 7 years.
3. I have read a judgement can become dormant after 5 years. How do I know if it is dormant (where it can no longer be enforced and does not accumulate interest)? Do they have to take steps to revive it that I would be notified of and could I decide to settle if/when that happens?
4. Can I further negotiate with them? If I am legally bound to pay them why would they be offering to accept half? The judgement allows for non-wage garnishment so I believe they would be able to just take the full amount out of my bank.

Thanks for taking the time to read and if you have any information/advice that you believe would be beneficial to me, I would appreciate a response.

Do I have a foot to stand on since I never received the summons?

You have to file an application for rescission of judgment within 20 days of becoming aware of the judgment entered against you. You have to explain why the matter was not defended at that time. You need to give valid reasons.

Submitted by SC on Thu, 03/08/2018 - 02:57


( Posts: 3937 | Credits: )

Add new comment

Restricted HTML

  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.