Skip to main content
index page

LAID OFF

Submitted by 2nband on Tue, 12/16/2008 - 07:49
Credits:
[Donate]

Well I got my walking papers today....I got laid off. It totally sucks and now I don't know what we are going to do. Here we are trying to help my brother and everything and right here before Christmas....I get called into my bosses office ~ Merry Christmas, you position is being eliminated. Actually thought things were improving for us, but guess not. Can't win for loosing. Yes I am on a pity party right now, but I am so upset that it isn't funny. Came home and have been looking at help wanted adds and there is nothing out there. I can file for unemployment, but that will be an all day thing, so will have to do it tomorrow since I have a doctors appointment this afternoon. I am praying that my husband does not get laid off also. I know we would never make it if he lost his job also.

if there is anything you need do not hesitate to ask.it does suck.especially this time of year.

Submitted by paulmergel on Tue, 12/16/2008 - 07:55

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )

that you did.i know this for a fact.again don't give it a second thought if you need anything.

Submitted by paulmergel on Tue, 12/16/2008 - 08:00

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )

I am so sorry to hear about your job. I don't know what it is about Christmas time, but besides myself, I know 3 others that were laid off around the holidays. My boss told me several years back that we lost our funding,two days before Christmas. My friends got their papers with their Christmas turkey--thought that was kinda cruel!

You and your family will be in my prayers. Times are so tough now, they are laying lff and closing things like crazt here.

Hang in there, we are here for you..karen :D

Submitted by Bossy4455 on Tue, 12/16/2008 - 09:16

Bossy4455

( Posts: 5854 | Credits: )

welcome to the club. I was laid off too, a few weeks ago. I applied for UC online. It is only 275.00 per week. The worst is losing my healthcare. I feel your pain but I believe that God is in control and despite what you hear on the news it does not apply to those who have faith. "Let not your hearts be troubled."

Submitted by Frogpatch on Tue, 12/16/2008 - 11:29

Frogpatch

( Posts: 5381 | Credits: )

My husband and I were discussing this tonight. His company is laying off 2,000 and at least 2 at his location are being laid off. He was wondering why they always lay off during the holidays. Maybe these companies could be a little creative. I would be willing to cut my hours in half if it meant that someone else could keep their job. 2 half time people would equal one, would be better than no job at all.

I will be praying for you and your family.

Submitted by on Tue, 12/16/2008 - 18:09

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

2nband, I am so sorry to hear about your job loss. That os one reason why I took my new job, I could see the signs at my old job. I figure that within the next couple months there will be a huge layoff there and I didn't want to be in the middle of that again. I was in it once and it wasn't pretty. I will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers that things turn around for you :rose: If there is anything I can do for you please let me know.

Submitted by puddlejmpr on Tue, 12/16/2008 - 22:03

puddlejmpr

( Posts: 1634 | Credits: )

things like this remind me of a saying I heard once...

God's will won't bring us to anything that God's grace cannot bring us through.

it's very true....I actually got that call into the boss's office last Wednesday morning. I was laid off, they had to cut 6 positions in the plant. I had no doubt, seriously, that God would look out for me, and when I told my bosses that I was not worried, and that I knew God would provide, they looked at me kinda funny. Well, I was cleaning out my locker, not even 15 minutes later, and my boss called back--told me to come back up to his office, that he had something for me. what he had was another job within my company! I transferred to a different plant, about the same distance from home, and started the very next morning. So, all I changed was my location.

Now, they are talking like they may have to make cuts in the plant I transferred to....and it already looks like I have something else to go to. And it's hard because my experience outside of my current company/working the plants is in an odd line of work that doesnt take up much of the workforce, and if i get laid off again I will NOT be looking to work in the plants, because they are all making cuts now. So, I will be falling back on my bail enforcement experience.

You both will be in my prayers. just try to remember that God wont ever give you more than you can handle--with His help.

Submitted by skydivr7673 on Thu, 12/18/2008 - 10:27

skydivr7673

( Posts: 2036 | Credits: )

Thanks everyone and I have been praying for others that are in my positions. More good news....another round of layoffs may be headed that way and effective immediantly (sp) my husband and everyone else is having to take a 5% pay cut. I would rather live with that though than him loosing his job also. We both worked at the same company. I am so keeping my fingers crossed that he won't be one they let go. I did file unemployment, but am waiting for them to contact me in regards to any more information they need. I was able to do the paperwork on line, so that helped. I did not have to sit in the unemployment office for 3 hours just to get paperwork to fill out.

My son keeps wanting me to take his gifts back and get the money but I just cannot do that. He is in NV by himself (he has duty so cannot go to my SIL's for Christmas). He will be alone and I am not going to not send him his gifts!!! Wish he had internet in his room so we could see each other on the webcam, but....

Did stay busy yesterday. My niece (who is 7) invited me to have lunch with her and then to come to her classroom and help her make a gingerbread house. It was fun and it made her happy to have her aunt there. I guess she told everyone that I was coming! LOL

Submitted by 2nband on Thu, 12/18/2008 - 14:05

2nband

( Posts: 2277 | Credits: )

I have gotten my unemployment stuff filed, so that will help a bit. My old boss is wanting me to try to hold off getting another job for a few months (if possible) so they can see if anything is going to open back up after the holidays so he can try to get me back on. Even though the unemployment isn't as much as I was making, at least it is something and will help some.

I am really trying to keep my faith up that things will get better and have a good Christmas. It is hard, but I am trying.

God Bless everyone!!!

Submitted by 2nband on Sat, 12/20/2008 - 16:54

2nband

( Posts: 2277 | Credits: )

My heart really goes out to you guys; 2nband, Frogpatch, skydivr7673, and anyone else going through a job loss at this time of the year. Although I didn't lose my job until February of 2007, I had been out on FMLA the last quarter of 2006 and went through two Holiday Seasons being not having the money to buy presents for anyone.

It can really be harsh!

I remember all too well what it was like to not have any money to buy anyone anything, in addition to being worried how I was going to make my regular living expenses. Now I have a new job, and am pretty comfortable financially now, I made a vow that I would do whatever I can to help out those in need this year. I usually never carry cash on me, I live by direct deposit, online bill pay, and my debit card; however, I've been keeping singles in my wallet this season so I can put some in the Salvation Army kettles whenever I pass one.

I remember all too well what it was like to have needed a helping hand and not being able to get it, so I try doing whatever I can to help others out.

I'm really thinking of you guys this Holiday Season and hope all works out well for you guys.

Submitted by FloridaRon on Sun, 12/21/2008 - 14:29

FloridaRon

( Posts: 1190 | Credits: )

Sorry you got laid off.

But to answer some people's questions as to why now. Lot of companies are loosing money, and possibly looking for mergers etc. So, this being the 4th quater, they will try and cut costs and make the company look proftable, and they want to look good for their shareholders. (if they have any)

Yeah it sucks.. but that's the way our economy works.

Submitted by beli2005 on Tue, 12/23/2008 - 10:53

beli2005

( Posts: 882 | Credits: )

You're right beli2005. It's a shame, but that is usually what it going on.

Perhaps if the executives cut back on their millions of dollars in salaries and bonuses and such, they might make the company look a little more viable all year long, rather than screwing the common man at Christmas time.

Silly me!

Wishful thinking on my part and it will probably never happen.

Submitted by FloridaRon on Tue, 12/23/2008 - 12:42

FloridaRon

( Posts: 1190 | Credits: )