Skip to main content
index page

Can Judgment be removed from the credit file?

Submitted by on Mon, 05/15/2006 - 14:25
Credits:
[Donate]

I live in AZ and was discharged four years ago from Chap 7. We had a judgment against us (filed before we filed for BK), which our attorney never filed a motion to avoid, thus it is still on our title. It expires in a week and could possibly be renewed. My question is if it is renewed will I still be able to get it removed, since the original debt was discharged in BK and there is nothing to collect anyway? Or, did my attorney mess up and cause us a big problem with this still active?

Hi Jmkennett

Unfortunately, the judgment cannot be removed from the credit report even after the debt has been discharged in bankruptcy. It will stay in the file as negative information for a period of seven years. But it can't be used to collect for the debt discharged.

Discharge will exist in the records and as per the federal laws, no one will be able to collect it. At this point, it is also not possible to vacate a judgment from the record as it has been entered as a contested hearing.

Submitted by david on Mon, 05/15/2006 - 14:41

david

( Posts: 1229 | Credits: )

The judgement remains on the Credit Report for seven years after it has been satisfied. The effect on your report lessen over time with a good payment histtory.

Submitted by bdouble on Sat, 06/17/2006 - 21:08

bdouble

( Posts: 354 | Credits: )