Skip to main content
index page

SOL Question

Submitted by on Mon, 06/05/2006 - 08:45
Credits:
[Donate]

I am in the process of cleaning up my credit report. I have some credit card debt that the SOL is ready to expire on in the next few months. I am starting to receive letters from collection agencies on this debt. I haven't answered anyone, because I'm not sure what to do. My question is do I answer them or just wait and let the time run out? Also I live in Kentucky and the SOL for credit card debts is 5 years isn't it? Thanks in advance.

If you decide not to pay the debt before the SOL expires, the CA can return your file back to the credit company who might decide from that point. If the total debt is not a huge amount, creditors will not intend any actions because of the court costs and fees involved with it. But their other collection tactics might also be hurting. So have to prepare yourself in that way.

You might be interested in improving your credit file for getting new credit in the future. This debt will appear in your file and hurt your ratings until it gets removed after the 7 years reporting time. Try to work out easy arrangements and avoid all actions against you. You won't have to deal with the CA after the credit company pulls your file from them.

Submitted by Justme on Mon, 06/05/2006 - 08:56

Justme

( Posts: 479 | Credits: )

is it true that debt for Medical bills don't fall under the same SOL as far as taking you to court?

Submitted by on Wed, 06/14/2006 - 16:47

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

CA

Submitted by on Wed, 06/14/2006 - 23:02

The statute of limitation in California is 2 years for oral contracts and 4 years for written contracts. If your debt is within the SOL period, you should be careful before the hospital chooses to bring litigation against you and recover the amount. If they get a legal case, it can become a judgment debt which will remain in your file for longer.

Submitted by Justme on Thu, 06/15/2006 - 15:59

Justme

it wasn't from a hospital it was a doctor's office. I don't know if that makes a difference. But I believe on my credit report it opened in 2002, so unless I receive something in the mail soon it should be coming off this year

Submitted by m0ney_g1rl on Thu, 06/15/2006 - 16:43

m0ney_g1rl

( Posts: 4 | Credits: )

Negative information will be reported in the credit file for 7 years as per the FCRA laws. The reporting begins from the date of first delinquency of the account. Be aware, the company cannot force you to pay the debt after the expiry of the SOL. If you are not interested in paying the account after the expiry of SOL, be aware that you should not make any payment towards the account or/and make a commitment. They will get your statement recorded and hold it against you.

Read the FCRA link for sound information regarding your credit reporting.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rules/rulemaking-regulatory-reform-proceedings/fair-credit-reporting-act

Submitted by Justme on Thu, 06/15/2006 - 17:02

Justme

I HAVE A CREDIT CARD COLLECTOR THAT IS HARRASSING ME AND THE DEBT WWAS INCURRED IN THE STATE OF KENTUCKY BACK IN 1996. WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO?

Submitted by on Tue, 01/29/2008 - 12:12

Kentucky Statutes of Limitation

Recovery of real property: 15 years (KRS 413.0 10).

Judgment, contract or bond: 15 years (KRS 413.110).

Breach of sales contract: 4 years (KRS 355.2- 725).

Contract not in writing: 5 years (KRS413.120). NOTE: Action for liability created by statute when no there is no time fixed by statute: 5 years (KRS413.120).

Action on check, draft or bill of exchange: 5 years (KRS 413.120).

Action for fraud or mistake: 5 years (KRS 413.120).

Actions not provided for by statute: 10 years (KRS 413.160).

Submitted by kashzan on Tue, 01/29/2008 - 12:17

kashzan

( Posts: 5401 | Credits: )

I just need to know in the state of California what is correct on statute of limitation. does time begin with the first defaulted payment or the maturity of the contract date?

Submitted by on Tue, 01/29/2008 - 16:16

I filed bankruptcy (in KY) in 1999 and moved out of my house. About 3 years later I heard from the loan company about the dept. I told them that I had filed bankruptcy and moved out, but they said that I still owned the house. They wanted to know if I knew of anyone who would want to buy it. The neighbor showed interest, so I sent them their name and what they would offer. They called me and said that wasn't enough, and I never heard from them again. I was just wondering what my options are relating to the property?

Submitted by on Tue, 05/19/2009 - 13:17

I filed bankruptcy (in KY) in 1999 and moved out of my house. About 3 years later I heard from the loan company about the debt. I told them that I had filed bankruptcy and moved out. They said that they had never forclosed and that I still owned the house. They wanted to know if I knew of anyone who would want to buy it. The neighbor showed interest, so I sent them their name and what they would offer. They called me and said that wasn't enough, and I never heard from them again. I was just wondering what my options are relating to the property? It's not worth much, but it's getting real ran down and the neighbor is starting to complain. I moved out of state a few years ago and can't care for it. I'm not sure who has the loan now? I know the statue of limitations in KY is 15 years on real estate.

Submitted by on Tue, 05/19/2009 - 13:32