Skip to main content
index page

Don't worry about your Hotels.com account information

Submitted by Jedi Mistress Ari on Mon, 06/05/2006 - 18:46
Credits:
[Donate]

Hey everyone,

Any of you take advantage of services provided by Hotels.com? If so, I have some news for you.

Recently, one of their laptops was stolen. It was a random theft, and this laptop contained all kinds of credit card information on it.

Now don't worry, the laptop is password protected, so not just anyone can access all that information, especially not the random thief. The police are searching for the laptop to date.

Also, every credit card company has been made aware of this and will be monitoring all accounts for any suspicious activity.

Maybe these companies need to stop letting people store this type of information on computers which can be stolen and actually keep the files on a secured servers and make it so the files can't be saved locally.

In my case, there is no reason that the person who's computer was stolen did not need to have it on their own computer, they had access to the company intranet from out side the office. That file never should have been saved on their local machine.

Submitted by LCW on Mon, 06/05/2006 - 18:56

LCW

( Posts: 1151 | Credits: )

That's a good point clay. Why it was left on a laptop of all machines is completely beyond me. But, as they say, everything is under control. Also, unfortunately no, thieves will never quit. These are people who do not have the dignity or the social grace to work like everybody else, so they choose to support themselves through treachery on the backs of people like us. May they either get theirs in hell, or from karma.

Submitted by Jedi Mistress Ari on Tue, 06/06/2006 - 18:06

Jedi Mistress Ari

( Posts: 2192 | Credits: )

there is a way to recover the laptop if it gets stolen. Its a software that i saw at Staples a while ago. youre supposed to install that software and you registr with the softwares website. if your laptop gets stolen, you go to the website and you report that it was stolen. on the box, it said that the next time the laptop is turned on, it will try to connect to its website and if its successful, the website will save the ip address and try to triangulate the location of your laptop and the cops can use that info. i have no idea how they do that but im sure the FBI or the CIA already do this triangulation stuff.

anyway, it seemed like a good security measure for $30. only problem is, if the thief decides to format the laptop as soon as he gets his hands on it, youre essentially screwed.

Submitted by zek1000 on Thu, 06/15/2006 - 22:11

zek1000

( Posts: 55 | Credits: )