Skip to main content
index page

Using a Credit card online.

Submitted by on Sat, 01/22/2005 - 11:04
Credits:
[Donate]

We hear of such wide use of credit cards on line. I may be too "bull headed",but I have used my credit cards on line with a major internet
service provider. I had $300 in my account,and I was charged $1200 and
have since discontinued the service. I tell all my Spanish and Chinese
friends the trick they used when I said I would purchase some items in about 90 days. The address was current and the card was on file .
I still have a bad credit report from the incidents :roll: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

welcome JDGinfire, we have just moved the topic to this forum.

Quote:

I had $300 in my account,and I was charged $1200 and
have since discountined the service.

Some of them are playing bad tricks. I am using cards for quite sometime but its ok with me.

Quote:
I tell all my Spanish and Chinese
friends the trick they used when I said I would purchase some items in about 90 days.

Pushing the sales down the throat of a customer, bad short term goals. We as a company have one policy,

Donot make a sale
rather provide an experience,
donot make a onetime customer
but a client forever.

I will ask Mr Mike from our technical dept to write more on credit card safety on net.

Vikas

Submitted by Vikas on Sat, 01/22/2005 - 17:47

Vikas

( Posts: 2019 | Credits: )

Thanks Vikas , was busy with work, here is my 2 cents on credit card security.

How safe is one's Credit Card?

Before entering into the discussion let me explain the basic parts of credit card.

The parts (1 to 5) of the credit card as represented by the image are:

(1) The credit card number. This can be broken into 4 parts:
    [list:80c96d760c] (i) System Number (for Visa=4, for Mastercard=5,etc.)
    (ii)Bank Number(i.e. Bank Code)
    (iii)The Account Number of the user.
    (iv)The Check Code
[/list:u:80c96d760c]
    (2)The expiry date and name ( mentioned on the front)

(3)The magnetic strip on the back containing information on the credit limit , bank details , ATM pin code,etc.

(4) A 3 or 4 digit verification PIN code(on the reverse).Some cards have this.

(5) The signature strip which helps prevent an unauthorised person from using the credit card of the user offline.

[quote]Basically, there are 3 nodes, namely
    1) Web Interface (Your Computer)
    2)Webserver
    3)Bank Server/Data Server.
[/quote]

The payment gateway (From your computer to webserver) involving the webserver is encrypted and secure - there is high security and low risk.

The bankserver/dataserver is also secure - a protected preapproved gateway is involved here.

The hackers cannot break gateway and bank level encryption - most will not even try. What most people fail to realise is that they themselves are the weakest link in the security chain of online transactions. One's computer (the interface),however, might be a sitting duck,if one does not take the necessary precautions.

The problems that may arise are:

1) The computer may be infected by Worms or Trojans. these send information via email from one's interface to their creators including even credit card details.

2) Keyloggers may be present in the interface which log everything one types and email it to a hacker.

3) Spyware may be present which retrieves information from one's computer and sends it to malicious sites.

Submitted by Mike on Mon, 01/24/2005 - 03:16

Mike

( Posts: 1317 | Credits: )

Mike great article, thanks for writing, I know how busy you are with your marketing and technical stuffs.

Quote:

The computer may be infected by Worms or Trojans. these send information via email from one's interface to their creators including even credit card details.

Can you please mention few precautions and few apps which our customers can use to prevent trojans and other virus. That will be of great help.

Thanks again Mike :)

Regards
Vikas

Submitted by Vikas on Mon, 01/24/2005 - 07:58

Vikas

Quote:

Can you please mention few precautions and few apps which our customers can use to prevent trojans and other virus. That will be of great help.

Im sure your members and vistors will appreciate very much to this reply, trojan and other virus do cause severe headache.

thanks

Submitted by on Fri, 02/18/2005 - 15:40

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Quote:

I am sure your members and visitors will appreciate very much to this reply, Trojan and other virus do cause severe headache.

I am so sorry; I could not get Mike this time. He is a busy person and he hates writing threads but he loves this forum, I will ask him for help.

Dear 123( Please mention your name for me, 123 reminds me of mathematical analysis :cry: ),

We really appreciate your participation and for reminding us about the incomplete thread.

Thanks again
Vikas

Submitted by Vikas on Mon, 02/21/2005 - 23:00

Vikas

We hear of such wide use of credit cards on line. I may be too "bull headed",but I have used my credit cards on line with a major internet
service provider. I had $300 in my account,and I was charged $1200 and
have since discontinued the service. I tell all my Spanish and Chinese
friends the trick they used when I said I would purchase some items in about 90 days. The address was current and the card was on file .
I still have a bad credit report from the incidents :roll: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: [/quote]

There are a few programs that you can install in your computer to defend your computer from Trojans and other viruses. I am actually using both right now. Spybot monitors your web surfing and asks you to verify any changes to your computer's registry. Viruses and Trojans usually take over a computer by installing itself in your registry. So this is a valuable tool to use when you are doing important banking transactions on line.

Submitted by benjaminz6 on Mon, 04/18/2005 - 09:19

benjaminz6

( Posts: 256 | Credits: )

I use several anti-spyware and anti-virus programs on my PCs.
One of my current favorites are SpyWare Doctor for anti-spyware protection with some anti-virus features, but you must purchase the product.

For the last few years, I have used the anti-virus program Avast! You can download a full working product for free, and works as well as some of the expensive, resource-hogging ???????big name??????? products I????????ve used???????Try Avast.com or do a Google search for download opportunities???????

A free anti-spyware program that I have used successfully in the past is AdAware. You can download the free version at Lavasoft.com. (Purchased versions are available, too, but the free one does a pretty commendable job???????)

One of my all time favorite ???????what????????s going on in my PC????????s head??????? tools is BelarcAdvisor???????Get it here: belarc.com/free_download.html
This baby works totally within your machine ???????? the info doesn????????t go to some database in who-knows-where.
It not only gives you security recommendations based on what????????s happening within your own PC, in literally SECONDS, it will give you a complete report of EVERYTHING that????????s on your computer ???????? hardware, software, updates, license keys - EVERYTHING???????

Our military & government use this software, as do lots of major corporations. I????????ve used it for several years, and HIGHLY RECOMMEND it???????
Once you run it a few times and get to know what normally lives on your computer, it????????s easy to pick out anything ???????new??????? that you haven????????t added ???????? which makes it great for detecting ???????nits??????? of bugs you thought you????????d gotten shed-of???????
It????????s also a minor miracle if you need a license key for a piece of your software & don????????t recall ???????that special place??????? you put it???????Run BelarcAdvisor and it will TELL YOU the license key???????

I have other ???????purchased??????? programs that I use, too, but these three free downloads will REALLY help you out, if you currently are operating without any protection???????

-notyour

Submitted by Kathy Mac Donald on Sat, 05/10/2008 - 10:05

Kathy Mac Donald

( Posts: 24 | Credits: )

....forgot to mention - if you need to replace a PART in your PC, Belarc knows what you need, too...
Print a copy of your report every now & then for reference. If you need to do PC repairs, your report will tell you the make, model, manufacturer, etc of the part you're replacing....makes it WAY easier to order the correct part to fit your machine & system...

-notyour

Submitted by Kathy Mac Donald on Sat, 05/10/2008 - 10:15

Kathy Mac Donald

( Posts: 24 | Credits: )