Skip to main content
index page

My husband and I are in serious trouble with our finances

Submitted by on Sat, 05/28/2005 - 11:47
Credits:
[Donate]

My husband and I are in serious trouble with our finances. My husband was laid of several months ago, and has had to settle for part time work, and watch our son, while I work full time. This has become a huge problem, as now our monthly bills are more than what we make a month! We just got married a few weeks ago, and I know I don't have good credit, but my husband has decent credit. I'm not sure if we'd be able to get a loan due to my credit history... also, I don't know if these type of loans cover hospital bills, as I have a few thousand dollars left in hospital bills from a few years ago that I can't pay right now, and I have this collection agency harrassing me at work, threatening to sue me, or talk to my HR department about garnishing my wages! I don't know what to do!!!!

Hi kelbi

Welcome to the debt consolidation care forum. I will try to offer you some valuable advice that might benefit you.

Quote:

I'm not sure if we'd be able to get a loan due to my credit history... also, I don't know if these type of loans cover hospital bills, as I have a few thousand dollars left in hospital bills from a few years ago that I can't pay right now

At this situation, when your monthly bills have become unmanageable by normal budgeting methods, you can try for a debt consolidation loan as you have worries about your credit history also. These loans will widely help in reducing your debts. But please make yourself aware that you will have to keep a watch on your buying habits to prevent from further accumulating debts.

Many institutions offer these types of loans with free consultation. Please know the fees structure right from the very beginning and put everything on paper. In some cases, the up front fees are not charged, but you should always ask what fees will apply to the loan before you sign it.

The best company offering this loan stands above from the rest when they will want you to agree to a budget and also they may make you agree that they will manage your money for your better future.

Please ask the following things before you sign for a debt consolidation loan
[list=1]
  • What fees apply to the loan?
  • What is the interest rate on the loan?
  • What are the payments on the loan?
  • Will the loan adversely affect my credit rating? - This is the most important question and make sure that all the loan procedures are explained to you properly. Avoid lenders who themselves are not clear on this issue.

Note: Make sure that you never pledge secured assets (your car or house) to obtain a debt consolidation loan.

Quote:
    I have this collection agency harassing me at work, threatening to sue me, or talk to my HR department about garnishing my wages! I don't know what to do!!!!

Please use your legal rights in writing as per fdcpa laws that you have been informed of the debt and that they don't need to keep any sort of communication with you further. The Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) bars the collectors from calling at work, causing harassment, using abusive language, making false or misleading statements, adding unauthorized charges and many other practices.

You have your legal rights to sue them if they harass you further after receiving your letter and get compensated for it.

Please let me know if this post is helpful to you.

Regards
    Roxette
    Heaven never helps the man who will not act.

• Submitted by roxette on Sat, 05/28/2005 - 12:48

roxette

( Posts: 4009 | Credits: )

Hi Kelbi
    Welcome to forums
    The problem you are facing may be solved in a few steps:

Quote:

We just got married a few weeks ago, and I know I don't have good credit, but my husband has decent credit. I'm not sure if we'd be able to get a loan due to my credit history... also, I don't know if these type of loans cover hospital bills, as I have a few thousand dollars left in hospital bills from a few years ago that I can't pay right now.

1.What i feel is that if you are serious about getting a loan then you can avail a loan in joint names that is both in the names of husband and wife. Since your husband has got a good credit history you can avail a loan.

2.As far as paying off hospital bills are concerned which are few years old you may consider a debt consolidation program.By going through a debt consolidation program you can pay off your hospital bills. You can also call at the toll free number of this site and can discuss your problem.

Quote:
    I have this collection agency harrassing me at work, threatening to sue me, or talk to my HR department about garnishing my wages! I don't know what to do!!!!

The best option is to lodge a complaint in your local police station and also in FTC. Besides fdcpa has clearly laid down about your rights as a debtor as well as steps you can take against a cllection agency for violating collection norms.

Hope to hear from you soon
    Peter

Submitted by peter on Mon, 05/30/2005 - 04:47

peter

( Posts: 285 | Credits: )

[quote=kelbi]My husband and I are in serious trouble with our finances. My husband was laid of several months ago, and has had to settle for part time work, and watch our son, while I work full time. This has become a huge problem, as now our monthly bills are more than what we make a month! We just got married a few weeks ago, and I know I don't have good credit, but my husband has decent credit. I'm not sure if we'd be able to get a loan due to my credit history... also, I don't know if these type of loans cover hospital bills, as I have a few thousand dollars left in hospital bills from a few years ago that I can't pay right now, and I have this collection agency harrassing me at work, threatening to sue me, or talk to my HR department about garnishing my wages! I don't know what to do!!!![/quote]

Yes, you are in a precarious situation that more and more Americans are finding themselves in everyday. But there is hope. First, it would be a good idea to increase your joint income to the maximum level possible. So maybe you should suggest that your husband take 2 part time jobs/shifts. See if a family member could watch the kids while you are at work. The more money you throw at the deb, the quicker it would go away. And when you eliminate this debt then both you and your husband would be able to spend more time with your kids. So eliminating the debt asap should be the top priority.

You should look into a loan consolidation. You and your spouse would be good candidates because you are facing a mound of debt with insufficient income to meet the monthly payments required for all of these debts. Hopefully you could find a loan with a low interest rate and then you could use that money to pay down your debt. But use a bit of precaution when deciding on the loan amount. You don't want to take about a consolidation loan so large that you are sacrificing all of your collateral. because if you default, the cost would be immeasurable.

During this time, you should also look into downsizing things. You should look into downsizing your home, and downsizing cars etc. what good are these material things if you cant enjoy them with your family. first you should try to get back to a debt free life. then you would be able to rebuild your life from them into something that would be more financially manageable for your new family.

Submitted by benjaminz6 on Mon, 05/30/2005 - 14:14

benjaminz6

( Posts: 256 | Credits: )

loans are easy to get but very hard to get out of i mean you should really think about the loans that you are getting yourselves into and if in the long wrong to have the money to pay back

Submitted by chmartinbaby06 on Wed, 09/07/2005 - 00:40

chmartinbaby06

( Posts: 381 | Credits: )

Hi kelbi. One other suggestion. I, too, have hospital bills that have accumulated over a period of time, even though I have full medical coverage. Because the insurance company or the hospital didn't act in a timely manner, some of these bills have fallen on my shoulders. I was given two suggestions.

1. Speak with a patient accounts representative at the hospital. They may be able to set up a payment plan with you to avoid any further action.

2. Send the collection agency a check for whatever you can afford ($5, $10, etc.) along with a note explaining that this is what you can afford and will be paying monthly until the bill is paid off.

I have done the latter, and it has worked. It took some time to pay the debt off, but I wasn't harassed because we were making consistent efforts to pay off the bill. I hope this helps.

Submitted by jon_ness105 on Thu, 09/08/2005 - 12:10

jon_ness105

( Posts: 18 | Credits: )