Skip to main content
index page

Getting started myself on settlements

Submitted by on Thu, 03/24/2005 - 12:22
Credits:
[Donate]

Hi everyone, I've been searching the web for the last few weeks looking into debt settlement and companies offering this service. I currently have $28,612. in unsecured debt, most all of them closed and charged off. I have talked with a lawyer regarding bankrupcy, but after much thought and research I've come to the conclusion that I really want to avoid bankrupcy. As a single Mother on a tight budget I find it hard to pay the fees (quoted as $4291.80) from the debt settlement companies that checked out well with BBB. I can get the funds available to pay a settlement on these accounts, but I would have to get a good settlement to pay them all off--I currently can come up with roughly $12000. approx 40% of the debt owed. Now that I've filled you all in on the background...here's the question. Can I negotiate a settlement myself and what would be the odds I could get them to settle for 40% and how do I start. I've looked at the sample letters on this site and have read through allot of posts, but quite frankly I'm terified I'm going to say the wrong thing to a creditor and end up in being sued. Help please! Any ideas.
Jules

Welcome Jules to the forums,

Quote:

I have talked with a lawyer regarding bankruptcy, but after much thought and research I've come to the conclusion that I really want to avoid bankruptcy.

We also feel that bankruptcy should be the last option.

Quote:
Can I negotiate a settlement myself and what would be the odds I could get them to settle for 40% and how do I start.

We as a company do not want to force anyone to join the debt settlement programs. We have a section called "do it yourself", which will help you handle things by your own.( http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/diy/ )

Quote:
I've looked at the sample letters on this site and have read through allot of posts, but quite frankly I'm terrified I'm going to say the wrong thing to a creditor and end up in being sued. Help please! Any ideas.

We have kept the sample letters for your help, please read the mailing instructions before communicating with your creditors. Creditors are generally good people and they really help :) . Do not worry but be careful with every move and for any help please feel free to post here. Our debt Samaritans will help.

Thanks
Vikas

Submitted by Vikas on Thu, 03/24/2005 - 22:12

Vikas

( Posts: 2019 | Credits: )

Hi Jules

I have been hanging in this site for quite some time. And I have found that the ???Do it yourself??? section over here has been very helpful to most of us. What I personally feel is that if some repair work has to be done by any outsider for us who will be getting all the details provided by us only, then why not the whole thing done by ourselves only. In that case, there is no fear of any involution by any outsider which sometimes may become harmful also. And we will be definitely saving some extra money at such times if we believe in ourselves. Of course, if any problem arises, then it can be discussed with our near and dear ones. At least, we should give a try from ourselves first.

Also, you have taken a very smart decision of not declaring bankruptcy at this point. Otherwise, it will have its adverse effects in the near future. Plan your moves and discussing your problems over here in the forums might prove helpful. I have had a good experience with this site in my dealings and therefore hang here often.

Do keep in touch about your moves. I hope that you return back with your smile very soon.

Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Fri, 03/25/2005 - 12:58

roxette

( Posts: 4009 | Credits: )

[quote=Jules]Hi everyone, I've been searching the web for the last few weeks looking into debt settlement and companies offering this service. I currently have $28,612. in unsecured debt, most all of them closed and charged off. I have talked with a lawyer regarding bankrupcy, but after much thought and research I've come to the conclusion that I really want to avoid bankrupcy. As a single Mother on a tight budget I find it hard to pay the fees (quoted as $4291.80) from the debt settlement companies that checked out well with BBB. I can get the funds available to pay a settlement on these accounts, but I would have to get a good settlement to pay them all off--I currently can come up with roughly $12000. approx 40% of the debt owed. Now that I've filled you all in on the background...here's the question. Can I negotiate a settlement myself and what would be the odds I could get them to settle for 40% and how do I start. I've looked at the sample letters on this site and have read through allot of posts, but quite frankly I'm terified I'm going to say the wrong thing to a creditor and end up in being sued. Help please! Any ideas.
Jules[/quote]

Have you made any progress in your situation? You made a very smart decision to avoid bankruptcy. Declaring bankruptcy would have far reaching consequences that can be avoided through settlement.

So you say that you want to have have a good negotiated settlement? Well that is very possible given all of the various companies you have to choose from. If you do your homework, I am pretty sure that you can find the company that best suits your needs. Make sure that you do plenty of research before you select your company.

Submitted by benjaminz6 on Mon, 04/18/2005 - 19:20

benjaminz6

( Posts: 256 | Credits: )