Skip to main content
index page

can a creditor sue if I am current?

Submitted by on Tue, 03/29/2005 - 05:21
Credits:
[Donate]

I live in NC and have a credit card account with citibank that has been in and out of delinquency, and was placed in collections. I told the first collection agency that I would only deal with citibank, and have not heard back from them. Since then I have been communicating with a law firm representing Citibank, Bernhardt and Strawser, who has indicated that they plan to sue for a judgment.

The account is still owned by Citibank, I have been making monthly payments on my own (Citibank will not set up payments with me, I can't get anywhere with customer support, so I've just been sending them myself monthly, and they have been deposited and my account credited), and while the account is still past due I can bring it current (per the past due amt on my credit report). I've missed about 4 payments in the last 3 years.

What should my strategy be here? Bring it current and increase payments (balance is 11,000 - I'm paying 150/month, 1500 past due)? The first delinquency was years ago, and it's not ben current for about 2 years, though I understand SOL restarts with each payment. If I do have to go to court, what are my best options? While I'm at it, is there a recommended attorney in the Charlotte area that I should contact to represent me?

Thanks.

Quote:

The account is still owned by Citibank

Since it was passed to collection agency once, please check again whether the account is with a collection agency or citibank.

Quote:
Bring it current and increase payments (balance is 11,000 - I'm paying 150/month, 1500 past due)?

Most of the companies have some plans for making an account current, like after 3 continues payments.

IMO, contact the customer care once again and ask them how to proceed and whom to contact in such scenarios. Offering a lump sum will help you impress your creditor. Some tips while contacting original creditor is given over at http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/contact-creditors.html .

Thanks
Vikas

Submitted by Vikas on Tue, 03/29/2005 - 16:35

Vikas

( Posts: 2019 | Credits: )