Skip to main content
index page

Question regarding Student Loan Collector

Submitted by on Thu, 03/31/2005 - 08:51
Credits:
[Donate]

I have an old student loan I am paying on, I have been unemployed for a while, and am now a full-time student under TAA.

A colleciton agency has been threatening that they can keep me from graduating this August if I don't pay this loan immediately. From what I have seen of the federal law, they cannot do this. Any thoughts? Can they really do this?

Also, they have been threatening to contact me every 72 hours. What is my legal recourse?

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forums, all collection agencies have same policy. They are there to extract as much as possible, they hardly care of anything else. Most interesting fact is it works with a major percentage of the crowd.

Quote:

A collection agency has been threatening that they can keep me from graduating this August if I don't pay this loan immediately. From what I have seen of the federal law, they cannot do this. Any thoughts? Can they really do this?

No, tell them they are wasting their time with such threats. Fair Debt Collection practices Act - fdcpa says, "Creditors can't call you or visit you at odd times or places without your prior approval."

Quote:
What is my legal recourse?

Please have a look at http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/fdcpa.html . You can send a letter to the original creditor for reconsidering the payment plans. There are chances that you account is pulled back from creditors.

Thanks
Vikas

Submitted by Vikas on Thu, 03/31/2005 - 09:51

Vikas

( Posts: 2019 | Credits: )

You can take a legal action against them, tell them to stop making such calls else you will take them to court.

Quote:

Thank you, they have told me that they have done this before (kept people from graduating)

They tell such things to scare people :) .

Submitted by simon on Thu, 03/31/2005 - 10:10

simon

( Posts: 307 | Credits: )

Is there anything I can do to stop Sallie Mae from calling me two and three times a day? Can I send a letter stating that they can only contact me by mail?
Thanks
Rosie
<><

Submitted by on Wed, 04/02/2008 - 07:50

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )