Skip to main content
index page

I am a victim of fraud

Submitted by on Tue, 07/26/2005 - 06:32
Credits:
[Donate]

I am a victim of fraud. I am 21 years old and was scammed out of 7000 dollars. The bank is holding me responsible for the money since the scammers could not be located.

I recieved a summons in the mail and they are suing me for the full amount now. I am a college student i make a bout 12000 a year and last 3000 goes to car payments to a car that just died on me. 3000 goes to car insurance, 3000 goes to my family helping them and charities, and the rest of the money to rent and food and necessary things. I dont know where im going to get 7k to pay them off. Any suggestions would be great.

Tabitha

Tabitha,

You need to contact a lawyer. That is the only way to work out the situation.

[quote=faithful_tab]I am a victim of fraud. I am 21 years old and was scammed out of 7000 dollars. The bank is holding me responsible for the money since the scammers could not be located.

I recieved a summons in the mail and they are suing me for the full amount now. I am a college student i make a bout 12000 a year and last 3000 goes to car payments to a car that just died on me. 3000 goes to car insurance, 3000 goes to my family helping them and charities, and the rest of the money to rent and food and necessary things. I dont know where im going to get 7k to pay them off. Any suggestions would be great.

Tabitha[/quote]

Submitted by vwh on Tue, 07/26/2005 - 08:26

vwh

( Posts: 124 | Credits: )

Hi faithful_tab

Did you activate a fraud alert on your credit file? Since you have been a victim of fraud, you can also apply for a 7 year victim statement that will be activated in your credit file.

After the credit bureau attaches a fraud alert on your credit file, any suspicious activity in your credit account will be known to you. This alert will help you if anyone is getting a new card in your name, applying for a car loan, cell phone etc. In such cases, the lender will verify if the applicant is trying to misuse your account.

Submitted by ben on Mon, 08/01/2005 - 14:58

ben

( Posts: 2034 | Credits: )

A few months ago, my fiancee got out of the military with an honorable discharge, but had trouble finding work right away because of some red tape junk.
We were contacted by a "company" that offered us a credit card with a $2500 limit on it if we sent them $250 right away. We were only slightly skeptical, but desperate so we allowed them to take $250 from my bank account.
We waited weeks for the credit card and never received it. We tried calling the company, but it was a bad number.
I notified my bank and informed them that i had been scammed. I had to fill out a form and they looked into it. Within a week and a half the $250 was returned to my bank account, which i subsequently closed so that I didnt have to deal with fraud again.

If I can offer any advice, DO NOT post your bank info on the 'net with any companies that you don't know.
Also, keep an eye out for your browser/address bar (where you type in web addresses)...if it does not start with: http, dont post valuable info. Just http means it's not a secure site and your info is not being secured.

:-) Best of luck!

Submitted by Lindsey on Thu, 08/04/2005 - 06:27

Lindsey

( Posts: 362 | Credits: )

Hi guitar_slayer

Welcome to the forums. It is a pleasure to know that you actually protected yourself from being scammed.

We appreciate that you have rendered some useful community help over here in the forums.

We will be pleased to see more of your postings with your comments and suggestions in the forums.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Thu, 08/04/2005 - 15:39

roxette

( Posts: 4009 | Credits: )