Skip to main content
index page

When a creditor reports you as Deseased!

Submitted by Pammila on Mon, 04/25/2005 - 15:51
Credits:
[Donate]

Once in a while someone pops in that has issues with the Credit Reporting Agencies thinking they have passed away and there for don't want to send them their credit reports!

When creditors report, there is a section called ECOA under this field they report:
[list=1]
  • Individual Account
  • Joint Account
  • Co-Signer
  • Signer
  • Commercial / Business
  • Deceased

This is the section that tells you for the most part that person's relationship to the account, and it is a letter assigned, once in a blue moon an employee makes the mistake thinking that this section just needs to be checked as in X marks the spot.

Well that would not be so bad if it was not for the Letter X in the ECOA meaning deceased!

So if you have this problem, you need to find out which of your creditors made the mistake and contact them to update that portion of their tapes.

Another thing I have heard of, is forwarding copy of drivers license, as well as a picture taken holding that days news paper, try to get the reported publish date on the news paper so they know you are in fact alive, and something current to prove it.

I had just heard of this, I don't know how the Credit Reporting Agencies would truly react, you know as much as they over look things on a regular basis it might be one of them hit and miss things.

Just thought it interesting to share that.