Skip to main content
index page

CA reporting after default judgment by OC

Submitted by on Sat, 09/03/2005 - 21:23
Credits:
[Donate]

Where is it supported that once a collection is entered into judgement, the entry can stay, but must show as a $0 balance? Somewhere in the FCRA or fdcpa?

As per the fdcpa law, if undisputed negative information is entered in your credit report, it will stay there for a period of 7 years.

Once you have completed your payment towards the debt, your credit file should be updated by the creditor or the collection agency. Though, your credit report is already tarnished, but it will be viewed more favorably than before when it was left unpaid.

Submitted by ben on Mon, 09/05/2005 - 11:59

ben

( Posts: 2034 | Credits: )

Actually, your credit scores do not improve just because you paid off an unpaid negative TL. You are no better off than leaving them unpaid. Unless you are applying for a mortgage. But that wasn't my question. :wink:

Is it okay for the OC to report a balance and past due amount on a CO account that has a default judgment against you already? Wouldn't that be construed as having two accounts with the same OC? I once read where a CRA told a consumer that the OC's TL had to report a $0 balance after being awarded the judgment, and that's what I'm trying to verify.

Even if they are allowed to report a balance, shouldn't it equal the judgment amount? And shouldn't there also be a $0 past due amount, since shouldn't that reflect monthly lates only? (assuming you were never late)

Submitted by on Tue, 09/06/2005 - 17:29

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )