Skip to main content
index page

capital one judement- need suggestions!!!

Submitted by on Mon, 09/12/2005 - 11:21
Credits:
[Donate]

I have a credit card with capital one. Charged around $700 3 years ago, have paid back more than $700 so far making min. payments. I got behind the last 3 months and they got a judement against me friday (I go to court and dispute it, was 7-8 hrs. away). The court clerk advised me to call capital one and set up payment arrangements, or else they could garnish my wages (all they have to leave you is $125 out of you pay).
Anyway, I called capital one and she told me the lowest they could go was $340/month!!!!!!!!! Siad I owe $1900+. I could have died, I won't be able to pay my car payment, etc. She said if I didn't settle for that, they WOULD garnish my wages for a higher amount! I am supposed to call back today to finalize arrangements, any ideas???? I am desperate.

Thank you for the info, I called and requested a breakdown of my account. They did take me to court and were awarded the judgement. They won't negotiate any less than $300/month, which I can't afford. It's put me in a desperate situation!!

Submitted by on Mon, 09/12/2005 - 14:03

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

You can take the help of the professional consultant working in this company. It's all a matter of proper negotiation with your creditors and thus your payment plan will be easier for you.

The consultation will be completely free of cost and you will be benefited from his advice.

You can also make your repayments in easy monthly installments. Thus, it won't create much pressure in your daily life also.

Ben

Submitted by ben on Mon, 09/12/2005 - 16:00

ben

( Posts: 2034 | Credits: )

I was told by capital one that they would not accept debt negotiation. Is that true???? I have not been able to get through to a consultant on your site (says my address is already in the system). Is there a direct line I can call?
Thanks- Trina

Submitted by on Tue, 09/13/2005 - 09:35

Hi Trina

Some companies do refuse to accept any settlement offer as because they want to recover the money in full. However, a proper negotiation if done can solve this matter positively.

Since you might already have entered your email address in the system some time back, it is not getting accepted. You can try with a new email address and submit your contact information.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Tue, 09/13/2005 - 12:51

roxette

( Posts: 4009 | Credits: )

Thank you Roxette. I re-entered my e-mail address and a consultant did call me back. Although they cannot help me with a judgement. Capital one won't negotiate with me, they will garnish my wages if I dion't settle by the 19th with $300/month!!!

Submitted by on Tue, 09/13/2005 - 13:55

Trina,

As per my knowledge, they have the legal rights to take necessary actions, but sometimes they will try to avoid it if you are more than willing to pay it off. Though it won't be possible for you to pay $300/month at this point of time, but if you advance some money, they might understand your situation and soften a bit.

The creditors want to recover the money and they involve in legal actions only when forced to do so. I think that you should mentally prepare yourself right from the beginning that you will be able to convince your creditors.

Do let me know the update.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Tue, 09/13/2005 - 14:27

roxette

( Posts: 4009 | Credits: )

Be very careful when dealing with garnishments from creditors. THey can take 25% of your pay. Like Roxette stated, try advancing them 25 or 50 bucks just to show that you are willing to pay off this debt. I did that with creditors before and they were more than willing to work with me.

When they garnish you for 25%, it is of your gross earnings. So depending on how much you make this could wind up being more than 300 a month

Submitted by Rhonda28 on Tue, 09/13/2005 - 18:42

Rhonda28

( Posts: 411 | Credits: )

First, I want to say a big THANK YOU to all of you who have given me advice on this issue. This site has been a godsent to me.
Next, I have some info. that I hope will be helpful to others dealing w/credit card judgements and garnishment: I called my local consumer protection agency in VA (remember every sate has their own specific laws on garnishment. unfortunately for me, VA does allow it), they referred me to the State corporation Commission's Bureau of finance. They are the regulatory agency that governs credit card companies. I lodged a complaint against capital one (they wanted me to pay $300/month or they would garnish my wages for more- would NOT negotiate a lower payment). The Bureau sent the complaint to capital one and within 2 days was able to help me negotiate a lower payment! My payment will be $210/month (with 25% interest- they would not drop interest since I will be paying lower payment). This is still alot for me, but much better than the alternative. So, if anyone needs help dealing with a creditor that won't negotiate, call your state's consumer protection agency for help.
More importantly, don't let it go this far. If I had talked to the debt consolidation rep. BEFORE this went to court, they could have negotiated for me.
Also, I would love to become a member of the forum- how do I sign up? The only sign up I could find was for the consolidation.
Thanks again everyone :-)

Submitted by on Mon, 09/19/2005 - 07:18