Skip to main content
index page

Can collection agencies come after my wife for my dues?

Submitted by on Wed, 05/04/2005 - 12:47
Credits:
[Donate]

I have several credit cards with a balance of around $17000.00
I'm disabled drawing social security, but my wife makes pretty good money, can the credit card companies come after her on collections if, I can't afford to make payments any longer?

Hi,
You have asked
Quote:

have several credit cards with a balance of around $17000.00
I'm disabled drawing social security, but my wife makes pretty good money, can the credit card companies come after her on collections if, I can't afford to make payments any longer?

If the credit card is in you name only then credit card companies cant come after your wife asking for the money.They cant ask for the money from your wife based on the relationship only.The law here doesnt aproove that.
However if you have dual account or your wife is a secondary cardholder then they are entitled to ask your wife to pay off the credit card dues.
I hope this answers your query.
All the best
thirdeye

Submitted by thirdeye on Thu, 05/05/2005 - 07:11

thirdeye

( Posts: 82 | Credits: )

Hi Guest,

Also, if you think that you won't be able to work in the future, then it's better to surrender your credit card as it will only build up expenses in the future having no income from your end (If the credit card is not joint). Let your wife handle the finance in your home.

Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Thu, 05/05/2005 - 12:06

roxette

( Posts: 4009 | Credits: )