Skip to main content
index page

Identity theft

Submitted by on Fri, 03/10/2006 - 19:11
Credits:
[Donate]

My husband was involved in identity theft by the mother of his daughter. She used his social security number to get an apartment and she forged a power of attorney and the seal of California. He was not aware until the owner of the apartments tried to recover the money from the damaged apartment that she left behind. In this case, she forged a fake power of attorney, forged his name and used his social security number, what can be done about this? Is there a Statue of Limitation for this? and what would it fall under?

Criminal charges should definitely be brought against her. Your husband has to stop her in her tracks--no telling what else shes capable of if shes left alone and continues on this path. Thats why, as Tammy said, your husband has to file a police report against her. She needs to go down for what shes done. Big time. Right now though, the most important thing is for your husband to get the word out there so that he's protected! please keep us posted! shirley

Submitted by imkimssister on Fri, 03/10/2006 - 20:03

imkimssister

( Posts: 1301 | Credits: )

Also, when your husband reports the theft to the 3 major bureaus, he will receive free credit reports for 12 months do to the id theft. Anytime anything changes they send another report. I put the 7 year alert on ours and it will be well worth it. If someone applies for credit, etc, the credit bureaus and the creditor notify you by phone or letter alerting you to this.

Submitted by Not so Lucky on Fri, 03/10/2006 - 20:06

Not so Lucky

( Posts: 3041 | Credits: )

Thanks for your responses. My husband found out about the incident in 2004, but the actual theft was commited prior to that, so he figured the statue of limitation had already expired so he didn't do anything about it. What is the time frame for that offense? We found out about this in 2004, she also commimted welfare fraud which she admitted in court in 2004 but he didn't press charges because she agreed to pay it back to the state, can he go back and press charges on her for this also? I want to know what the Statue of Limitation are for both these offenses...thank you.

Submitted by on Sun, 03/12/2006 - 17:07

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )