Skip to main content
index page

One account

Submitted by on Wed, 03/15/2006 - 03:19
Credits:
[Donate]

I have one credit card account when payment was received day due, so they marked me 30 days late, then the card was lost. So I reported it and they sent a new card, now I have two postings for 30 days late with the old card and the new card. Is this right? I already disputed with Experian and am waiting resolution.

Nope! not if I'm understanding you right. They can't have duplicate entries of the same account on your report. One has to be removed.(thats IF they are still reporting on BOTH at the same time) But its not the same account number, is it? when you lost your card they closed out your old account and gave you a new account number. Is the account that you lost the card on, showing as closed?
It sounds like what they did, was, its still the same account, just a different number since you lost your card. And they carried your payment information over to the new card. I think they can do that. You losing your card doesn't make the clock start all over. It doesn't give you a clean slate as far as the payment history or balance. Am I making sense? But 'if' they are still currently reporting on BOTH cards at the same time, they can't do that and one has to be removed.
Now someone else jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I am. :? Shirley

Submitted by imkimssister on Wed, 03/15/2006 - 04:24

imkimssister

( Posts: 1301 | Credits: )

Hi Shirley,
They are both showing dates of (last reported 2/2006). The one account is showing closed/current and the other shows open/current, and on the balance history they both show last history up to 01/2006, but I received the new card almost 9 months ago. The only thing that gets me is that they both say the account was opened in 05/2002. This is assuming that they are using the same account information. The only thing that is different is the card number.

Submitted by on Wed, 03/15/2006 - 07:35

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Hi Mshwartz12--you may have to call the credit card company yourself and ask them why they are reporting it like this. The old account should be taken off but the credit bureau will argue that its NOT the same account since the account numbers are different. YOu can still dispute it with the credit bureaus. Write them a letter explaining that its the same account-only you lost your card and they gave you a new number which is the new account. After you explain it to them, get them to do an investigation on it and when they find that it is the same account, they should remove the old one. Dispute it with them and let them check into it for you. I have accounts on my report with wells fargo that are old and closed out but they don't have a recent report date on them though. Every time me and my husband went to borrow more money, they would close out the old account, add what ever was left oweing on it to the new loan that we had just taken out. They paid themselves off more or less--so the old account still remains but showing as closed and paid as agreed. THey never show an update.
My rule is 'if the glove don't fit--dispute dispute dispute'! Dispute and see if you can get it taken off.
anyone else here want to jump in?? shirley

Submitted by imkimssister on Wed, 03/15/2006 - 07:48

imkimssister

( Posts: 1301 | Credits: )

Well I finally received notice from the reporting credit bureau that it was updated. No Kidding! All they did was change the date of status. I received a letter back from the creditor stating that all information is correct and that I can dispute over the phone with them. No chance, because then my rights are basically null and void. Is there any alternative to settling this?

Submitted by on Wed, 04/12/2006 - 22:05

The opening date for the second card can never be same with that of the first one, right? So this is a mistake on your credit report, hence it should be rectified. Have you contacted the card company? Ask them to report it correctly. You can re-dispute the item if it is still incorrect.

Did you file police report when the first card was lost? You can attach copy of that report with your dispute letter; it will give your claim an extra weight.

Submitted by stella on Thu, 04/13/2006 - 16:27

stella

( Posts: 488 | Credits: )

I did not file a police report when I lost the card, I just called the creditor and told them to cancel. So anyways they sent me a new card and now both cards have the same start date. They are unwilling to cooperate on this matter. Since they are a bank, I contacted the banking regulator in that state and filed a formal complaint. They have also declined to send me bills for the past two months which is a violation of the FCBA(fair credit billing act). I don't want to pay over the phone or over the internet because they charge either $7.00 or $11.00. Based upon what the regulator states, I may have to sue them. It's not fair and it's not right. Suggestions?

Submitted by on Thu, 04/20/2006 - 21:46

Well I submitted a complaint with the BBB in the state that they are located and would settle for removal of the incorrect report to the two credit bureaus and also 2000.00 to cover the violations. 1000.00 for each bureau report violation. It is the law but I don't know if they will actually pay me or if it would have to requested by my attorney. But I at least gave them an option and hopefully the bank regulator and the BBB will suggest to them to cooperate or they could be looking at more severe penalties. I have learned alot from this site and hopefully things will work out.

Submitted by on Sun, 04/23/2006 - 18:06

If the replacement card number, that was sent after the late payment, has information encompassing the entire history of the acct, then they shouldn't be reporting the acct more than once. If they had reported the new acct number as payment data from issue date of the new card, then the old card data would stay in place with notation that the acct was closed and replaced by acct B. At least that is what shows for an acct I had with First USA, that I had lost the card to.

They can't dun you twice for the same acct information. Sounds like a sham, as is the refusing to send you a paper statement. I'm glad you have already reported them to the BBB and the state regulatory agencies.

Submitted by set4sail on Sun, 04/23/2006 - 18:19

set4sail

( Posts: 412 | Credits: )

That is what I really don't understand. There is no mention of a replacement account(card). So when someone looks at my record, it shows account A being late 30 days and then reported lost, so it is closed. Then there is account B which has account A start date and the 30 day late mark. So technically account A is closed but it has the 30 day late mark as well as account B having the same information. It is rather confusing and it took me a long time to see that and it wasn't until I tried to obtain a gov't job that it was raised as a question. So I can only hope for the best.

Submitted by on Sun, 04/23/2006 - 20:44

The other thing that gets me is that they just sent me a bill for one account yesterday(after I sent a letter off to the regulators, and I will wait to see if I receive another bill tomorrow. I have two accounts with them. I will not close them because they have been on my record for quite a few years, but they just need to abide by the law and stop playing games with me.

Submitted by on Sun, 04/23/2006 - 20:48

I am assuming that you have sent the letter through certified mail with return receipt requested. Record the dates when you have sent the letter. If you do not hear anything from the company within a reasonable period of time, you can insist the credit bureau to conduct an investigation on this account. Hopefully, they will be able to resolve this matter.

Submitted by john on Mon, 04/24/2006 - 14:32

john

( Posts: 1231 | Credits: )

Well they sent both bills as of today, so now my complaint will look frivolous. But I was notified by the BBB that they sent my complaint as of this morning and now they have 30 days to reply. My concern wasn't really the bills but it was the incorrect reporting to the bureaus. Hopefully they won't take 30 days to reply. The last complaint I lodged with another creditor took only two days. But they did not cooperate, so this time I am hopeful.

Submitted by on Tue, 04/25/2006 - 18:38