Skip to main content
index page

Credit Cleanup

Submitted by emsbchristy on Wed, 03/22/2006 - 12:07
Credits:
[Donate]

I am sure that I will have lots of questions as I go about cleaning up all of our awful credit. Yesterday I pulled my credit reports and my scores. Oh my goodness they were 485, 486 and 465. I am so embarrassed but I am the only one that put myself there. I have disputed items on my credit reports. Now my next question is should I wait on the dispute results or go ahead and start sending out debt validation letters to some of the collection accounts? I don't know where to go from here. Also before any collection accounts are paid I want to send out a letter advising them that I will pay in full if they agree to take the collection off of my credit report. Will they do that?

Sadly, my scores are about as pretty as yours are. :)

But it definately won't HURT to try and get them to do that for you.

It would probably work best if you paid it in full all in one lump sum if you can at all...Maybe if you were to say, "I can and will pay you 100% of my past due balance with you immediately, in return, you will remove any negative remarks about me on my credit reports." Something to that effect.

Submitted by Jessi on Wed, 03/22/2006 - 12:27

Jessi

( Posts: 3361 | Credits: )

Quote:

Now my next question is should I wait on the dispute results or go ahead and start sending out debt validation letters to some of the collection accounts?

If you are sure that the debts are not your, then wait until bureaus send you a response. If they reply that the debt was verified by the collection agency, then you can send DV to the CAs. Now, if CA fails to validate, you have enough proof that they verified with bureaus but could not validate to you. So you can request credit bureaus to remove the item from your report.

The same thing happened with one of the community members, Shirley; however, the issue is still not solved.

To answer your second question, once the remark collection enters your credit report, it stays there for 7 years. If you pay it, the account can be updated as paid collection which is slightly better than unpaid collection. However, there is no harm in asking them to report it as paid. Keep us posted.

Submitted by stanley on Wed, 03/22/2006 - 13:37

stanley

( Posts: 1639 | Credits: )

Hello ALL! I disputed a few things online with EQ using 100 characters (not an easy task). I was wondering if they verify can I dispute it again? or is it a one time deal? I have all my proof on the accounts. Also, from Stans post above- I thought that who ever put the information in your CR could remove it. or is this not true for collection accounts? Thanks for your time. Rach

Submitted by Rachas on Thu, 03/23/2006 - 12:15

Rachas

( Posts: 20 | Credits: )

Hi Rachas, long time no see! If they do come back as verified, and many times they do since it is a simple match-the-numbers process, and you have proof that shows that the accounts are incorrect or not yours, I would recommend hand-writing a letter to the bureau (you can get the address from your credit report or the website) and include the proof with the letter.

collection agencies DO have the power to remove an account from your credit. However, most times they don't really care to, because they are not worried about your credit report. I have had one thing removed from a letter that I wrote offering payment in full for deletion from my credit report. It doesn't work every time, but if you are planning on paying the account in full, it definitely doesn't hurt to try. :)

~Mary

Submitted by Mary on Thu, 03/23/2006 - 12:57

Mary

( Posts: 1344 | Credits: )

emsbchristy - Sorry, that last post of mine was directed toward you as well. Do not be embarassed about your scores, mine were in that area as well. That is why we are here! We will walk you through all the steps. Any questions that come up, ask away!

~Mary

Submitted by Mary on Thu, 03/23/2006 - 12:58

Mary

( Posts: 1344 | Credits: )

Mary is right. If it comes back as verified, try sending a written dispute. I read one post of VLD where he put more stress on sending everything via mail because it helps to fight the legal battle.

Anyway, Rach, don't get upset. As you are sure that the entries are incorrect, chances are it will be removed from your report.

Submitted by stanley on Thu, 03/23/2006 - 15:27

stanley

( Posts: 1639 | Credits: )