Skip to main content
index page

Now with DebtCC record calls and do recorded phone interview

Submitted by Vikas on Thu, 03/23/2006 - 08:33
Credits:
[Donate]

Here are the steps to record calls and do recorded phone interview:

* Call 1-800-601-1579
* Press 2 if you want to record phone calls.
* Enter the number you wish to call like 555-555-5555
* Go ahead and have the conversation
* The conversation will be available at:

Please remember to check the rules in your state about recorded phone calls. Also know that as of now all the calls are publicly available at voip.debtconsolidationcare[dot]com and anybody can listen to them.

Suggestions to improve the system are welcome.

I have always dreamed of a day when internet will make communities like ours so powerful that finally there will be a balance in the world against the big companies.

Suggestion: After the call is completed, there should be some notifiaction that the was in fact recorded and when it will be posted. :idea:

Submitted by dcashwell3 on Thu, 03/23/2006 - 10:45

dcashwell3

( Posts: 379 | Credits: )

Been digging around for a site that would provide info for recording conversations. I believe I have found one

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/

Hopefully Virginia Legal Defense can shed a bit of light on this matter.

Some of it seems to be a gray area.

I would like a little better understanding since since a lot of these calls would be interstate traffic and from every thing I read on the above site the impression I get is no one as ever been punished for trying to protect themselves.

Tim

Submitted by TimB on Thu, 03/23/2006 - 18:49

TimB

( Posts: 48 | Credits: )

Wanted to bring this back up so hopefully Virginia Legal Defense could give us an opinion.

I would love to start using this to have a copy of the coversation but would still like his opinion on our liability and also since we do not always know what state we are calling too when using 800 numbers for it could be a "all party" state.

In his opinion would Federal Law prevail across state lines in that it supports "one party" knowledge of the recording?

Thanks

Tim

Submitted by TimB on Fri, 03/24/2006 - 12:05

TimB

( Posts: 48 | Credits: )

Does anyone know ANY info on a company P. Rogan & Associates? I contacted the BBB in the US AND CANADA where the company is located and no one has heard of them. That is the company I called in recording that you all heard. I have a contract with license #'s but I don't know where or how to look those up.

Submitted by dcashwell3 on Fri, 03/24/2006 - 12:39

dcashwell3

Vikas

This is a wonderful new tool, as many community members wish to have proof of conversations, and do not have the "tap" device. My only concern is when a community member calls a creditor, and they ask for information such as acct#, or ssn#. Is there anyway this information can only be available to the member making the call?

Thanks-
Mike

Submitted by Teleport on Fri, 03/24/2006 - 23:58

Teleport

( Posts: 1388 | Credits: )

There are two problems in making the calls private:

Problem1: What is the identifying information for authentication ?

Problem2: Cost increase

Problem1 described in detail:
Say mikey you call the 800-601-1579 number how does the system know that is mikey calling and this phone call should be made available only in the mikey member area ?

Various options to deal with it:

OptionA: Ask mikey to enter his ssn# in his member area and also ask mikey to enter the ssn# when he calls the 800-601-1579 and then chooses the option #3 saying he is a community member wanting to make a recorded phone call.

OptionB: Ask mikey to enter his user id # when he calls the 800-601-1579 and then chooses the option #3 saying he is a community member wanting to make a recorded phone call.

Which is a better option ?

Problem2 described in detail:
The calls cost us 4 cents a minute. 2 cents for incoming to the 800 number and then 2 cents outgoing to the creditor or the collection agent. If it was all VOIP the cost would be insignificant. But our community members are calling from PSTN and are getting connected back to PSTN so we need to pay for VOIP/PSTN interconnect fees.

With our adsense and ranking chart income and the cost of running the website we figured we could afford $500 worth of calls every month without charging the users.

If I allow community members to make completely private calls the number of calls made will jump up significantly. Since the system can then be used by a community member to make personal calls too.

Various options to deal with the spike in the number of calls:

OptionA: Some how make 4 cents a minute since that is what it costs me. But I do not want to charge the community members. Since this website was started when I was in financial trouble and all of us who come here are in some financial trouble or other.

OptionB: Another way to do it, is to tie it some way with the points on the forums system. The problem with this approach is that new members will not be able to use the voip system until and unless they have enough points.

OptionC: After the calls are recorded put them in a queue, some one from debtcc listens to the call edits out any account number or social security number or personally identifying information and then makes it available publicly.

Lets all decide together whats the best way to do it and we will do it that way.

Our RnD team has spent a lot of installing http://www.asterisk.org on the VOIP server (I wil be putting the picture of our servers here some day soon :) the opteron 1U linux servers look real ****) We really want it to be used worldwide in a way that brings a level playing field between the creditors / collection agents vs. an individual debtor. Right now the chips are too much in the favor of the creditors and collection agents.

ps. You are inching closer to the hall of fame :wink:

Submitted by Vikas on Sat, 03/25/2006 - 01:15

Vikas

( Posts: 2019 | Credits: )

As a new user, I say for problem 1, I think option B. this way if someone has stolen your identity, they don't have access to this as well. For problem 2, option C. If nothing else then they can be used in two ways. Examples for others AND proof. :wink:

PS: Is there a way to block the caller ID on this end? I have a creditor who won't answer the phone when I use this system.

Submitted by dcashwell3 on Sat, 03/25/2006 - 12:46

dcashwell3

I would say the same, Option B for both of them. That would at least make it so that no one is going overboard making calls--Only when necessary.

Once again this goes back to keeping this site running below budget--It wouldn't be fair or right to have a debt consolidation website losing money. :)

Submitted by Jessi on Sat, 03/25/2006 - 12:53

Jessi

( Posts: 3361 | Credits: )

My first question is how would you enter a user ID if your your ID is text (like LCW, or MIKEY for example) just use the corresponding numbers on the phone? How much time will that take to input the conversion into the phone system?

It seems to me option "c" on problem 2 could become very labor intensive and cause a strain on a relatively small staff. Additionally, those doing the editing would have access to very sensitive information, and some mechanizem would need to be in place to make sure that information doesn't get used in improper manner.

Can you do it where people would have an option between public (free) and Private (four cents/minute)? That way they would have the opportunity to chose to cover their cost?

Submitted by LCW on Sat, 03/25/2006 - 13:57

LCW

( Posts: 1151 | Credits: )

Vikas

This might be a little difficult, but is there a way you can "pause" the recording by hitting the * key, so the consumer can give out the personal information, and then continue the recording with the same function?

I understand wanting to keep it as cost-effective as possible, but leaving that information for anyone to hear is very risky. I trust just about everyone on this board, but there are a few sour lemons out there who could take advantage of the system.

Also, can only community members listen to the recordings, or can a guest view them as well?

Regards-
Mike

Submitted by Teleport on Sat, 03/25/2006 - 14:15

Teleport

( Posts: 1388 | Credits: )

How do we know what our ID number is? There is no space for it right now in our profile? Do I create it or is it computer generated? :?

Nevermind I found the answer! :oops:

Submitted by dcashwell3 on Sun, 03/26/2006 - 10:32

dcashwell3