Skip to main content
index page

I filed bankruptcy 7 years

Submitted by on Thu, 03/23/2006 - 17:50
Credits:
[Donate]

ago. Anyways I tried to open a bank account this week w Wells Fargo. They won't let me open one saying that bc I had bankruptcy I had to clear it first.

OK so im going to get it done this week, so in the meantime, I opened an account w Mechanics Bank on WED. Everything went fine, Cust Serv says I should be getting a CC debit card all in the mail next week.

Today, Mechanics called me back. She says she had to close my account, bc a lady from Wells Fargo called them out, and tattled on my account.

My question is, do i have the right to privacy, and what right do they have to interfere who i go to? Shouldn't Mechanics Bank be the one to check it out my past before they opened it? Is this legal on both parties?!! Im PISSED :evil:

I had no problems opening an account with WashingMutual. Its still opened. And in Good balance for 2 years now.

Did you upset someone at Wells Fargo?? Why would they know, or even care if you opened an account with another bank? (especially if they didn't accept your application in the first place?)?
If Mechanics Bank ran a credit check (credit report), then they knew about the Bankruptcy anyway (a discharged Bankruptcy stays on your credit reports for 10 years from date of discharge).

You may have basis for a lawsuit against Wells Fargo, or at least that person at Wells Fargo. If Mechanics bank didn't call them and ask them for information, then Wells Fargo (or their employees) have no business calling and offering information about you to other businesses. This could be different if Mechanics bank is a subsidiary of Wells Fargo. If nothing else I would contact the Branch Vice President at Wells Fargo concerning this.

If you have Bank of America in your area, they will not prevent you from opening an account due to bankruptcy, and have very nice features and programs to help make money management and savings easier.

Submitted by LCW on Fri, 03/24/2006 - 05:15

LCW

( Posts: 1151 | Credits: )

About 4 or 5 years ago in Austin Texas Bank of America denied me an account because of Bankruptcy.

To top it off I had a previous account I used for a personal buisness and ran a lot of money through that was never in bad standing and never had any negitive mark against it. This was all at the same branch

Tim

Submitted by TimB on Fri, 03/24/2006 - 09:02

TimB

( Posts: 48 | Credits: )

Quote:

Did you upset someone at Wells Fargo?? Why would they know, or even care if you opened an account with another bank?

Is it possible that both of them ran credit check? So it is easy for Mechanics Bank to understand that this person went to Wells Fargo before coming to them, so they did an investigation.

Submitted by stanley on Fri, 03/24/2006 - 11:27

stanley

( Posts: 1639 | Credits: )

I thought that same thing Stanley. However the original poster stated the lady from mechanics bank stated the wells Fargo Called them

Quote:

Today, Mechanics called me back. She says she had to close my account, bc a lady from Wells Fargo called them out, and tattled on my account.

True if Mechanics bank ran a credit check, they would have seen the public record bankruptcy, as well as the inquiry from Wells Fargo, but there is nothing to associate the two on a credit report.

Also if Mechanics bank rank a Chexsystem report, they would have seen a recent inquiry from wells Fargo. I was once ALMOST denied an account because i had an inquiry with Chexsystem about 6 months before, because I had moved an account because i was unhappy with that banks service. The lady at that bank explained that sometimes if you open new accounts too close together that that can cause a flag in Chexsystems , system.

Submitted by LCW on Fri, 03/24/2006 - 12:29

LCW

( Posts: 1151 | Credits: )