Skip to main content
index page

Credit Report and inquiries

Submitted by Not so Lucky on Tue, 03/28/2006 - 07:24
Credits:
[Donate]

I received my credit report from Equifax a few days ago and I was looking at the inquiries and it is showing we have 26 of them. They are from collection agencies and our mortgage lender is viewing our report every month. Can I dispute these inquiries where there was no permission givin to pull the reports? There are inquiries on there that I have never heard of. We shouldn't have many inquiries on the report because we haven't been applying for credit.

I forgot to add that the places that were included in the bankruptcy are still reporting every month. How do I dispute this? They all show discharged in bankruptcy 11/2000. Can they legally keep reporting each month? The balances show zero. Maybe I am looking to hard into this, but we have worked long and hard to straighten up our credit and I want to know our options.

Submitted by Not so Lucky on Tue, 03/28/2006 - 07:30

Not so Lucky

( Posts: 3041 | Credits: )

For any tradeline that you have open (mortgage, credit card, and even collection agencies) the company is allowed to pull your credit. It sucks, but it's true. If you dispute the collection account and it is pulled off though, you can also dispute the inquiry. Sorry :(

~Mary

Submitted by Mary on Tue, 03/28/2006 - 07:30

Mary

( Posts: 1344 | Credits: )

If they were included in bankruptcy, you can dispute them as such. I would try an online dispute, there is an option when you are disputing for "included in bankruptcy".

Are you sure those are hard inquiries, and not soft, or promotional inquiries? Pretty much anybody can do a promotional inquiry, but it doesn't affect your score. I hope they are not hard inquiries. That isn't right for them to pull it with no reason.

~Mary

Submitted by Mary on Tue, 03/28/2006 - 07:42

Mary

You can issue a directive to the credit reporting agencies not to divulge your credit information for general inquiries from people that don't have a present need for the information (i.e., because you've asked for a loan, or a job, or what not). If you get unsolicited credit card offers in the mail, there's a blurb on there somewhere that tells how they "preauthorized" you and how to stop the marketing/fishing expeditions that so many of those guys do.

If someone is taking action to collect (i.e., by sending stuff to the credit bureau suggesting that you're delinquent or in default) where the debt has been discharged in bankruptcy, that's a federal crime, as well as a basis for a civil cause of action and a basis for a motion for a rule to show cause why they should not be held in contempt by the Bankruptcy Court. You can file an adverse action in the bankruptcy court, even though your case has been discharged seeking damages and an injunction to make them stop. You could also file suit against them under the fdcpa and the FCRA in either the fed. dist. ct. or a local state court. Need a lawyer, though.

Submitted by Virginia-Legal-Defense on Tue, 03/28/2006 - 08:16

Virginia-Legal-Defense

( Posts: 260 | Credits: )

I i have two city cards that I own money and they are in collection already, but when i check in my credit report they is just one account listed and with a diferent amount that is a lot less the what i own, did they forget to listed, will they outdated later?
Thanks you.

Submitted by Peter23 on Thu, 03/30/2006 - 05:06

Peter23

( Posts: | Credits: )

Okay, I called Equifax yesterday afternoon and they are going to remove the discharged items I disputed from the bankruptcy that keep reporting each month. They are also going to remove the hard inquiries that are on the report that doesn't have permission to pull the report. Each open account according to equifax that is open has to have written permission to pull a report. Has anyone heard of the creditor having to have written permission to pull a hard inquiry?

Submitted by Not so Lucky on Thu, 03/30/2006 - 05:47

Not so Lucky

( Posts: 3041 | Credits: )

Tammy - I haven't really heard it that way. From what I understood, once you have an account (credit card, colleciton, whatever), they have permissible purpose to do an inquiry. Which I think is crap, but whatever. If it is the case that they need written permission, I can definitely get some inquiries removed :D

~Mary

Submitted by Mary on Thu, 03/30/2006 - 09:31

Mary

hi. exactly how do you file a directive? quoting LVD from p. 1.

Quote:

You can issue a directive to the credit reporting agencies not to divulge your credit information for general inquiries from people that don't have a present need for the information (i.e., because you've asked for a loan, or a job, or what not.

also, i would guess this doesn't apply to CA's, only to i.e. marketers, etc.?? thanks

Submitted by on Sun, 04/02/2006 - 08:51

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )