Skip to main content
index page

Judgement vs Bankruptcy

Submitted by on Wed, 03/29/2006 - 08:35
Credits:
[Donate]

I am seeking some advice -

I have received a letter from an attorney's office stating that they are seeking a judgement against me for a debt.

Should I inform them that I am seeking counsel for filing bankruptcy? Or should I not tell them that as they are not a collection agency?

What is the difference between a judgement & bankruptcy? Also are the both on your credit report for 10 years or is a judgement longer?

Thank you!!

They are talking about filing 'future' tense.

I am trying to find a bankruptcy attorney I can afford. The cheapest I have found is about $700 plus the $275 filing fee (although it looks as if that fee might be able to be waived due to my financial situation.)

I have mailed a letter to them explaining the situation - but I am not sure it will matter. What happens if they get a judgement and then I file bankruptcy? Will the judgement then be included?

Thanks for your help.

Submitted by on Fri, 04/07/2006 - 13:54

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Absolutgyrl, like I said in the other post where you posted similar query, judgment will appear in the public records even after you have filed for bankruptcy.

To avoid all these negative moments, try to hire an attorney. You can look for some other attorneys in your state and see if they can offer you a reasonable quote.

Submitted by roxette on Fri, 04/07/2006 - 14:45

roxette

( Posts: 4009 | Credits: )

Will a judgment against me be taken care of if I file bankruptcy? Or is it to late....?

Submitted by on Sun, 05/17/2009 - 13:35

bk will cover the judgement in terms of $, however, it still should remain on cf and hurt your score..bk depending on the type(ch13-7 yrs, ch 7-10 yrs) stay on your credit file for a long time. where the judgement is there for 7 years..

Submitted by on Mon, 05/18/2009 - 05:44

I guess it's much better to tell them any way. As we all know, communication is very important when it comes to dealings with bankruptcy. I was faced on that situation before and I did not hesitate to seek suggestions and advice from bankruptcy attorneys. It's a great experience because I was able to know the proper actions to this problem, I bet you can also try to consult the best ADVERTISING LINK REMOVED PER TOS I'm sure they have the solutions and answers you want to have.

Submitted by on Tue, 09/14/2010 - 23:45

I believe the way judgments work with bankruptcy is that even though the bankruptcy would discharge the monetary obligation, the judgment would still be there until it expires. However, as I understand it, that can be fixed by filing paperwork to "vacate" the judgment, which you can do after your debt is discharged in bankruptcy.

Submitted by on Thu, 09/16/2010 - 23:44