Skip to main content
index page

Question about multipe tradelines for the same debt

Submitted by vikingshelmut on Fri, 04/07/2006 - 21:28
Credits:
[Donate]

Ok, I searched, and am a little confused. Please somebody clarify this:

I have a CC debt that was "Charged off" and sold to a collection agency.
I settled with the collection agency, and have paid off the debt to them.

On my credit report, the original creditor (the credit card company) has reported the charge off, and the collection agency has reported the paid collection.

Since both of these tradelines stem from the same debt, and that debt has been paid, should they both be reporting negative tradelines? In some posts it has been implied that this shouldn't happen, i.e. there should only be one negative tradeline against my credit. Is this true?

I ask because i disputed my credit report, and so far Experian has deleted two of the "duplicates", but one (my student loan, and the collection agency my student loan was sold to) have been reported as "updated" without having one deleted.

Sorry for the wordiness, but your insight would be appreciated!

vikingshelmut, if I am not mistaken, the debt was reported correctly. The original debt was reported as charged off. It was also reported by the collection agency as paid. You have cleared your debt with the collection agency, however, the original debt with your original creditor was charged off, which can be reported for up to seven years. If I am misunderstanding the situation please correct me. But as stated, I think the report is correct.

Submitted by dmj210 on Mon, 04/10/2006 - 09:22

dmj210

( Posts: 123 | Credits: )

dmj210,

This is why I'm asking this question. I'm unclear because some have reported this is not accurate, and you are stating otherwise. If you are correct, this seems like "double jeopardy" if you will. If one company sold the debt, then they should relinquish the right to report on this debt.

When I get my updated credit report, post again and let you know what was removed, and why. I just wish this issue could be answered and put to bed!

Submitted by vikingshelmut on Mon, 04/10/2006 - 10:38

vikingshelmut

( Posts: 17 | Credits: )

I have been reading few articles online about this particular case. There are confusions, but my understanding is that, once creditor places a charged-off account in collection, creditor report the account as charged-off with zero balance. And collection agency will also report the same account as in collection with ???balance.

Now if more than one collection agencies are there for the same account, then it is a mistake and you have to dispute it.

I have also read at many places that when a charged-off account is placed to collection it should be updated as charged-off/collection, hence no question of two trade lines. It would be better if you call the toll free # of credit bureaus and get the correct information.

Submitted by stella on Mon, 04/10/2006 - 16:37

stella

( Posts: 488 | Credits: )

Vikingshelmut, I can see why you would think that this does seem a bit unfair. The thing is, the original creditor is not reporting that you still owe them money. The original creditor is basically reporting that you did not pay your debt as agreed, and that they had to hire a third party to collect the debt. This is still a negative for them, as they do not receive the full amount when a third party collector recoups the debt for them. They simply sold the debt to the collection agency. Hence, they report the debt as charged off, and your "new" debt is with the collection agency.

Submitted by dmj210 on Mon, 04/10/2006 - 19:07

dmj210

( Posts: 123 | Credits: )

It still seems that there are 2 negative listings for one account. Even if you pay the collection agengy in a timely and agreed manner as agreed, the debt still shows as a collection account and the origianl creditor shows the debt as a charge off (also a negative). Since both listings are for the same account, it seems like this would be a duplicate listings.

Submitted by Kathryn on Wed, 04/12/2006 - 10:13

Kathryn

( Posts: 96 | Credits: )