Skip to main content
index page

Response to DV letter proves debt not mine, what's next?

Submitted by vikingshelmut on Thu, 04/13/2006 - 21:10
Credits:
[Donate]

I sent a DV letter to a CA for a debt that is not mine, but appears on my credit report.
They replied (very fast) with what I requested (info from Enterprise-Rent-A-Car, the OC).

The documentation they sent to me proves this debt is not mine:
- Address listed is not mine
- Drivers license listed is not mine
- Phone number is not mine
- DOB on DL not mine
- No SSN listed on rental agreement

What is my next step? They have provided me complete proof this debt is not mine.
Do I send a "Not Mine" letter to the CRA indicating I have proof the debt is not mine?
If so, do I provide them with corroborating evidence that backs this up (DL#, DOB, etc)?

In my experience, it is OK. I have done it and it has never done me any harm. They are just the gatherers of the info, if you can prove that it isn't yours, they should have no problem deleting. Some have even had luck with calling the CRA (some people will say don't ever call a CRA but I have had positive experiences with Equifax and Transunion with phone calls). They will probably ask you to fax over your info. Keep us posted!

~Mary

Submitted by Mary on Thu, 04/13/2006 - 21:42

Mary

( Posts: 1344 | Credits: )

Mary is right, there should be no harm in contacting the CRA, especially if it is one of the big three. They are not out to get you. It is good business for them to make sure all information is as accurate as possible (I know this may sound funny, considering how often their info is inaccurate, but it is true).

Submitted by dmj210 on Fri, 04/14/2006 - 11:26

dmj210

( Posts: 123 | Credits: )