Skip to main content
index page

LVNV Funding "tradeline"?

Submitted by on Fri, 04/14/2006 - 12:41
Credits:
[Donate]

Help! Approx. 6 years ago I purchased a home and my credit was in great standings. Since then I got divorced. I am purchasing another home and a derogatory tradeline appeared on my credit. The cc debt looks like it originated from Providian. It was closed 10/2000 and charged off 6/2001. The same account is now showing it is from LVNV Funding, and is active as of 3/2000, with a report date of 02/2006. I tried calling Providian and they have nothing on file due to the age of the account. I have tried to find information on LVNV Funding to discuss this and have find nothing. I never received any information, notices, or calls. What do I do to get clarity or deletion of this on my credit report?

Also, check your states statue of limitations, there is a decent chance this may be out of SOL, meaning you have no legal obligation to pay. However the derogatory remarks can remain on your report fro 7 years form date of last activity (in this case charge off).

Submitted by LCW on Fri, 04/14/2006 - 12:46

LCW

( Posts: 1151 | Credits: )

mmalloy, could you tell us how many times the same account is listed on your report? Is this account listed twice ??? one by Providian and the other is by LVNV?

It seems the account went to collection in 03/2000; hence collection item is going to get off in 03/2007. Obviously charged-off took place prior to that date, so I think the charged-off stuff is just up to be vanished.

Submitted by stella on Fri, 04/14/2006 - 15:32

stella

( Posts: 488 | Credits: )

I had a Providian account that was purchased by Cavalry Portfolio. (I paid the Providian off with a home refinance in March 2003). Both Providian and Cavalry are listed on my credit report. Providian has the last date as May 2003 as charged off and sold for collection and Cavlary has the last date March 2006 as collections account disputed by consumer, meets requirements of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. I disputed the listing as duplicate listings on my credit report and the response was "meets requirement of Fair Credit Reporting Act'. I have now disputed with Providian (since it was paid the account in full in 2003). Cavalry said that if Providian supplies a letter saying the debt is "paid in full" that will remove the listing.

When original creditors sell a collection account, or the balance of a charged off account, or the balance of a settled account can the account be listed by both the original creditor and the company that purchased the account?

Submitted by Kathryn on Mon, 04/17/2006 - 12:21

Kathryn

( Posts: 96 | Credits: )

Quote:

When original creditors sell a collection account, or the balance of a charged off account, or the balance of a settled account can the account be listed by both the original creditor and the company that purchased the account?

Well, the answer is yes, perhaps.

But your case is different. The account was paid and your credit report not showing the update. Moreover, they cannot sell a paid account to a collection agency. So you can dispute it with credit bureaus.

BTW, have you contacted Providian to have some records of your payment?

Submitted by stella on Mon, 04/17/2006 - 14:19

stella

Yes and Providian said I needed to send the dispute information to their dispute department, which I have done. I am just waiting to see what they say.

One company that settled for less the the total amount due was listed as "paid, $523 charged off" on my credit report. Can they sell the charged off amount to another company?

As you probaly guessed, I previously had a lot of bill problems. I now have only a morgage (which has never been late) and 2 small credit cards (which are current). But trying to straighten out my credit reports to be accurate is a lot of work. My pitiful credit score has gone from 500 to 650 (which is still bad but better than it was) with the romoval or correction of disputed debts. Several of the items listed will roll off in the next year, so hopefully it will continue to improve.

Submitted by Kathryn on Tue, 04/18/2006 - 07:09

Kathryn

( Posts: 96 | Credits: )

To answer the previous question, this derogatory appears 3 times on my credit report. Originally from Providian, then sold to OSI Gulf State, and then to LVNV Funding. The time lines are around my time of divorce. The DOB/SSAN/Name match to me, but the addresses are in LV, but not mine. Through the lender, I was given a phone number to contact at LVNV Funding and get additional information to try and sort this out. My credit score was in the 800's but has dropped to the low 600's because of this derogatory. I will try to contact ex-wife regarding this account for additional info. I am looking to resolve this immediately if this really belongs to me. Thank you for all of your input.

Submitted by on Tue, 04/18/2006 - 13:22

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

When a charged-off account goes to collection, it is reported by both the original creditor and the collection agency. By no means, it can be reported more than twice. You should dispute the item. And if the second collection agency buys the debt later, it should go off of your report after the 7 years from the date it went to collection first. Otherwise you can dispute it with credit bureaus. Hope that makes sense.

Submitted by stella on Tue, 04/18/2006 - 15:56

stella

Thank you for the information. I have disputed the multiple entries with the CRA's. If I find out that this was an account of mine from the past, I will for an immediate settlement amount. Hopefully, they will not try to gouge me. What is a fair settlement amount? (50%, 60%, 70%)
Again,Thank you.

Submitted by on Tue, 04/18/2006 - 16:20

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Jessi is right,make sure they will report it as PAID IN FULL, or it will continue to damage your credit. Also, MAKE SURE to get the agreement IN WRITING! A verbal agreement from a collection agency means nothing. If they do not follow through on their promise, you will need evidence to back up your side of the story. Always make sure to get agreements from collections agencies put in writing.

Submitted by dmj210 on Wed, 04/19/2006 - 07:53

dmj210

( Posts: 123 | Credits: )