Skip to main content
index page

medical bill debts

Submitted by kcnic on Mon, 04/17/2006 - 07:31
Credits:
[Donate]

I recently reviewed my credit report and saw about $1500 in medical bill collections. I had NO idea that these were outstanding and in collection. I am 24 and these medical bills were when I was 17-21. I was under the assumption that my parents paid those bills...because I never received medical bills when I was away at college. Is there any way to dispute them? Thanks.

If these bills are legally yours, then there is not much you can do to dispute them, unfortunately. However, you may want to speak with a qualified counselor before taking any action. The good news is, it sounds like some of these debts are nearing 7 years old. If they are, do not make a payment on them. After 7 years, they should fall off of your credit report. So if you are planning to pay these off, start with the more recent debts.

Submitted by dmj210 on Mon, 04/17/2006 - 09:03

dmj210

( Posts: 123 | Credits: )

Why your insurance company did not cover these bills? Do you have any idea?

You can consolidate medical bills, but as dmj as said, you should concentrate on few things before taking any decision. If the accounts are closed to 7 year reporting time, you should wait for their removal. Also check your state laws for SOL of debt collection. Past SOL debts are not collectible legally.

Submitted by stella on Mon, 04/17/2006 - 13:59

stella

( Posts: 488 | Credits: )

I have no clue why my parents insurance didn't cover the bills. That is why I was very suprised to see them on my credit report. I re-calculated and there is about $950, not $1500 as I originally thought. I viewed my credit report last night (all 3) from the annualcreditreport.com and now I'm kicking myself in the A$$, cause I forgot to print them. Now I can't log in to view it.

Anyways, thanks for the help...how do I find the SOL for Missouri? Thanks!

Submitted by kcnic on Mon, 04/17/2006 - 18:33

kcnic

( Posts: 13 | Credits: )

I, too, am dealing with medical bills. I have found that the companies holding the bills (most that is) are very easy to work with in negotiating payment options. Most of the companies even reduced the bills as "charity" when I explained my situation. Basically, I was a recent college grad who happened to have to have emergency surgery during the 2 weeks I wasn't covered between college and my "real job". Some were reduced drastically (it's a tax write off for them I think) and some minimally - but it was a help for me to know they will work with me if I just pay what I agree to. Some wanted a whopping $100/month but some were happy with $10/month. I have stuck to the agreement and every now and then they reduce the bills by $50 or $20. Now, I can't vouch for all medical companies, but I've not had a bad experience with the many that went into the removal of a gal bladder. I've even just been able to send a dollar at times and they haven't complained or reported it. BUT I would certainly call to try and work out a deal on some of the more recent bills.

Submitted by Ehwin on Thu, 05/04/2006 - 08:07

Ehwin

( Posts: 139 | Credits: )