Skip to main content
index page

TWO judgements I never knew about...

Submitted by kcnic on Mon, 04/17/2006 - 18:42
Credits:
[Donate]

So not only did I find over $900 in medical bill debt, I saw TWO judgements on my credit report. One from Citibank and another from Great Seneca Financial. I had absolutely NO clue that these were unpaid. When I went to college, my parents said they would take care of my credit cards. One is for $800, another for $1900. Which is crazy, because my credit limits were $300 and $600 (respectively).

I also went into the Missouri casenet site, which lists cases and I put in my name and saw both lawsuits. Since I was never served, I wanted to find out who was given the papers for the lawsuit. It turned out to be two seperate people. A former friend of the family (he stole from my parents and got kicked out, shortly after HE received MY court papers). The second was received by my mother. I have NO idea why she never told me. Maybe because she was supposed to be paying it and never did. Is there a way to disput these judgements? They were in 2001 and 2004. Both were when I was away at college. I am now married and ashamed to burden my new husband with my newly found debts. He knows about them now.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am truly embarassed and ashamed that I let this happen to me.

kcnic,

Toni is correct. If you were under the age of 18 these can not be collected and you can fight this in court or through the credit bureaus. If you were over 18 and these were co-signed then the original signer (you) would be responsible. Now when it comes to not being personally served I am not sure but you can be tried in abstentia if service was performed at your last known address and a "skip trace" did not bring up your new address. You may want to check with a lawyer on this matter.

Submitted by kalevala316 on Tue, 04/18/2006 - 09:25

kalevala316

( Posts: 139 | Credits: )