Skip to main content
index page

Imperial Collection Services

Submitted by on Wed, 05/03/2006 - 15:24
Credits:
[Donate]

Imperial Collection Services has contaced me RE debt with Bank of America (credit card) for $7476.77. I disputed the debt within the 30 days allowed by certified mail with return signature. In the letter, I specifically stated that they cannot add interest or fees to the amount of the debt. Today, I received a letter from them stating that I have failed to respond to their previous notice and the balance is now $7,621.42. HELP. How should I proceed next? Should I write them back and let them know that I disputed the debt within the 30 days? These people are really aggressive. Thank you for any help. I reside in CA.

As you are being contacted by a collection agency, you first move is to send a debt validation letter requesting for the complete details of the accounts in writing. Once the letter is received by them, they must give you the proper breakdown of the total amount with the calculation of interest rates and other fees as per the rules in your state. The CA can't charge excessively beyond the permissible amount and the agreement with the OC must allow the CA for these charges. These details should be furnished in the validation letter.

Send the letter through certified mail with return receipt requested. Once you have requested the info, you can refuse to pay the debt before it is validated. Have copies documented in a file because if the matter seeks investigation, you will have your proof of records in arranging the payments with them.

You must also check the SOL period in your state. If the account has taken place long time back and you have not made any payment activity within the recent times, there are fair chances of this account being out of the SOL period. Be informed before taking any step. If you wish, you can discuss with us or with your attorney.

Do a community sign up and our group will be there for your help. It's free here.

Submitted by john on Wed, 05/03/2006 - 16:13

john

( Posts: 1231 | Credits: )

I have sent debt validation letter. I got another letter asking for the debt to be resolve even though they have not responded to the debt validiation letter I sent (no breakdown of total amount). The SQL has not expired. My question is what should I do next? Thanks.

Submitted by on Wed, 05/03/2006 - 16:28

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Hi Bob

I am assuming that you sent the debt validation request through certified mail with return receipt requested. You must be having the green copy signed by them. This proves that your request has not been honored by them though that should have been done.

Send a copy to the credit bureau and request them to investigate on the account. Mention that you wish to see the results of investigations done by them. Hopefully, you will get some positive results this time.

Contact Bank of America and know the company they have hired for collections. Also requested for an updated account statement so that you can work out arrangements with them.

Submitted by john on Wed, 05/03/2006 - 17:23

john

( Posts: 1231 | Credits: )

Thanks John for the helpful advice. I appreciate it.

Submitted by on Wed, 05/03/2006 - 20:51

HI! WANTING TO KNOW IF THIS COMPANY HAS OFFICES IN KANSAS CITY, MO LAS VEGAS, NV AND WHERE ELSE ? I SPOKE WITH THIS COMPANY ON FRIDAY AFTER BEING TOLD BY THEM THAT I HAD 2 " DEBTS" WITH THEM, RELATING TO CLOSED BANK ACCOUNTS ; ONE DATING BACK TO 2005 ? THIS ONE HAS INCURRE THE most INTEREST DUE, BY THEIR CALCULATIONS. WHAT CAN I DO TO RESOLVE all OF THIS ? IT IS PREVENTING ME FROM ACQUIRING A NEW BANK ACCOUNT ELSEWHERE. THANKS !

Submitted by on Sun, 01/16/2011 - 15:37