Share post
member profile picture

If sued by creditor, and a judgement is allowed, a bankruptcy will cancel the judgement and erase it from your credit report, right?

Depends on the kind of account. If it government money like a tax lein or student loan, then no, it can't even be discharged. Payday loans, no, because they are construed as bounced checks. Credit cards probably. There's more on the issue throoghout the Bankrupcy forum.

Sub: #1 posted on Wed, 05/03/2006 - 18:49

Jedi Mistress Ari Jedi Mistress Ari

(Posts: 2192 | Credits: )

Thanks for the info. I am refering to a credit card.

Sub: #2 posted on Thu, 05/04/2006 - 02:02


In both the cases, a judgment can be discharged when you have filed for bankruptcy, but it depends on the kind of claim and the chapter of bankruptcy involved.

In case of judgments, the creditor cannot take any actions as long as you are filed under bankruptcy. But they will try to recover the judgment after the tenure of the bankruptcy is over. It is because judgments keep on renewing after a certain period as per the state laws.

Sub: #3 posted on Thu, 05/04/2006 - 15:32

david david

(Posts: 1229 | Credits: )

If you do file for bankrupcy after a judgment, the original creditor may want to repossess all tangible purchases made on the card, I've heard of that.

Sub: #4 posted on Wed, 05/10/2006 - 20:04

Jedi Mistress Ari Jedi Mistress Ari

(Posts: 2192 | Credits: )

I owe 2 credit card bills totalling about $17,000 since Sept. '05. I don't have a job, have a junk car worth $200 in my name, and about $500 in checking account and that's it. I live free with a relative.I've been getting calls for months but I have the phone blocked and it's not even in my name anyway. So, I haven't even spoken with anyone. One of them wrote and was willing to cut the bill in half. But I don't have any money except the $500. In other words, I'm homeless and broke. So what will they probably do? Thanks!Alan :?:

Sub: #5 posted on Sat, 05/27/2006 - 10:51


ALSO...if filing chap 13 and you have individual debts and your husband/wife has individual debts and you have joint too......and your deed is worded in such a way.....tennants in all its entirety...meaning they can't take the house if just ONE of you is on the credit card. you both have to be on the credit card. and that's where the chap 13 comes in where you pay the trustee......the individual debt in your separate names gets WIPED OUT! judgements garnishing, stops in a 13.

Chap 13 saves your secured asset...your home! Depends on how your deed reads. if deeded correctly, your individual debt for each...wipes out. you pay joint debt in chap 13

Sub: #6 posted on Thu, 06/15/2006 - 15:43

quietsound quietsound

(Posts: 50 | Credits: )

Two Questions:

1. How do I find out if my state has a "wildcard exemption">

2. If a judgement is filed and the CA is able to seize my bank account, can't I just open a new one or will they be able to see this and seize the new one?

Sub: #7 posted on Fri, 06/16/2006 - 05:47

jcrab1 jcrab1

(Posts: 86 | Credits: )

My main concern with this is that my name/SS# is linked to my parents accounts. I don't use these accounts it is just this way in case of emergency. I have my own personal account. Would they be able to touch my parents accounts b/c my SS # is linked to it eventhough it is not my money?

Also, a judge has to grant the CA permission to get information about my bank accounts, right? So, if I go to court and the judge sets up a payment plan for me, does this mean that a judgement still gets filed?

Sub: #8 posted on Mon, 06/19/2006 - 05:51

jcrab1 jcrab1

(Posts: 86 | Credits: )

You will have to be watchful since your accounts are linked with your parent's. Try to arrange a payment plan before the court date. If the judge involves in deciding the payment plan, it is up to him to decide whether a judgment needs to be filed against you or not. You must have everything documented before the court date so that your side of the story is completely transparent and the judge makes fair decision suitable to you.

Sub: #9 posted on Mon, 06/19/2006 - 16:17

GunsNroses GunsNroses

(Posts: 485 | Credits: )

I have one account with my sister's anme and SS listed as joint owner. The account's debit card was hijacked so I have less than $20 in the account, now.

If I had a judgement against me, could the judgement holder take money from an account solely owned by my sister?

I guess I should just close the account so she is not associated with me.

Sub: #10 posted on Tue, 06/20/2006 - 16:35


More information
  • Files must be less than 500 MB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.

Page loaded in 0.734 seconds.