Skip to main content
index page

I hate banks!!

Submitted by regbyandjulie on Wed, 05/06/2009 - 09:53
Credits:
[Donate]

Grrrr, I swear I hate all banks, they are so stupid.

So, I had this one checking account that I've had for over a year, and I NEVER got charged any overdraft fees. I mean, not one single fee, and I'd been overdrafted before by a LOT (like a couple hundred) but I'd never get charged a fee. I called them and asked them why about six months ago and they said that when I signed up, I was eligible for something which made my account immune to overdraft fees as long as I paid the negative balance within a month. So, okay fine. Well, today, I check my account, and I have 11 overdraft fees!! I'm like, WTH?? There's no way I can afford all those fees right now. So I call them and ask what is up and they say it's normal to charge those fees. So I said, yes I know, I have gotten them occasionally on other acounts, but never on this one. The lady looked at my account and said "well, you're lucky b/c it looks like there are several times you should have been charged." And I told her about what the other person had said six months ago about how if I pay it back within a month, there is no fees. And she said, "Well, I'm sorry, but it doesn't look like your account is that way anymore."

So, I guess I'm just frustrated. Yes, it was my fault for overdrafting, but I think it's pretty ridiculous to have to pay $400 in fees when I only overdrafted by $55 dollars.

It's possible that your account was like that when you set it up. But it could have changed because you overdrafted to much. They may want you to sign up for overdraft protection now. You were using them kind of like a loan for 30 days, and they were not getting interest. Now they see a pattern and banks don't borrow money for free.

It does suck to get that much in fees for just being overdrawn that little. But you should be thankfull that they haven't just closed that account on you. I was with a bank for 14 years and there was a mix up in our account (a deposit went to someone elses account) and when all was said and done, they still charged me the overdraft fees and closed my checking account, even thought it was THEIR fault. And in the 14 years we had that account I would say I overdrafted about 5 times.

Good luck on this! I hope you end up finding a good bank that will work with you. We did!

Submitted by puddlejmpr on Wed, 05/06/2009 - 10:01

puddlejmpr

( Posts: 1634 | Credits: )

I switched to our local credit union. I don't think I would ever go to a big bank again.

The best part is that the credit union gave us loans that the big bank would never even think of giving us. So I guess having that account closed was the best thing that has happened. We get cheaper fees and better interest rates from the credit union.

Submitted by puddlejmpr on Wed, 05/06/2009 - 10:34

puddlejmpr

The credit union gave you a loan? Wow, that's pretty nice. I'm sure I have no hope of ever getting a loan from anyone ever again, lol. I have heard that it is a good idea to switch to a credit union, but I just hate that there are so few branches. The only thing I like about regular big banks is that they are accessible, but I am getting tired of all the freakin' fees they charge. And a lot of them aren't even overdraft fees, they are "account maintenance" fees if you don't maintain a certain balance. I don't know about other people, but every penny counts for me! I don't have the $5 or $11 dollars or more per month to keep giving them per account.

Submitted by regbyandjulie on Wed, 05/06/2009 - 10:54

regbyandjulie

( Posts: 144 | Credits: )

I was pretty suprised that we got the loan from them. Because we wanted a loan a couple times from the bank and they said no. Then hubby decided he wanted to buy a cabin and went to the credit union (we didn't even have an account there yet) and they said yes :shock: So now we have a mortage, 2 truck loans, a loan for snowmobiles and a personal loan through them. Heck and from the bank we were only trying to get $500 and they said no :? With the credit union you don't have to maintain a balance, but if you do they will pay you interest on it. Our credit union only has 2 branches, but we have our paychecks direct deposit and they take out all our loan payments before anything goes into our checking. So with the payments being divided up we end up paying less interest on our loans. And even though our credit sucked we still got good interest rates. We use our debit card alot so we don't have to run to the bank for cash. Plus they don't charge anything if you use an ATM. The only fee you pay is the one that the ATM charges you. But if we go to any Kwik Trip gas station the ATM's are free.

I wouldn't give up our credit union for anything :D

Submitted by puddlejmpr on Wed, 05/06/2009 - 16:19

puddlejmpr

We managed to negotiate with SunTrust to defer to of our car payments, so now we're paying on time whereas before we were consistently behind. Of course, not that we've done that, some other financial fiasco happens. It feels like I'm forever behind. At least SunTrust is willing to work with us this time, I've had so many bad experiences from them that I'm surprised they are turning around at least for now.

Submitted by regbyandjulie on Wed, 05/13/2009 - 07:20

regbyandjulie

Well, it was a LONG road, lol. The car was repossessed last June, and even though we were only behind on payments by $1500, they wouldn't give us the car back unless we gave them $5000, which to me is ridiculous. Anyway, we sold our second car, paid the $5k to get this one back, and were told we didn't have to make any payments until August. So August, they say we're starting to be late again, so I paid 2 car payments in one month even though I had no money and my husband had just gotten laid off. He got another job in September, but got laid off at the end of October, so we had to skip November's payment so we could pay for electricity. I never had the opportunity to make up that payment b/c THEN we found out we were pregnant and had to pay for doctor's visits. So we were over a month late on all our payments up til now where they pushed our payments back to where if we had paid on May 5, we would have been on time. But THEN, the bank account that wasn't supposed to overdraft, not only overdrafted but started charging fees we never had before, so then the rent check bounced and we had to use May's car payment to cover the rent plus the extra fees our rent people charged us...

It's a vicious cycle, I swear.

Submitted by regbyandjulie on Thu, 05/14/2009 - 09:39

regbyandjulie

And now we're selling our furniture so we have extra money, lol, which is fine b/c we're going to move anyway. What really sucks, though, is that if I had gotten the bonus at work I was supposed to get in December, and THEN had gotten the annual raise I was supposed to get in February, this all would have been moot. BUT since I'm pregnant, I'm stuck at this low paying job until after the baby is born b/c I need the insurance to cover everything and my husband has been unable to find work and no one wants to hire a preggo woman for part-time work, and as I'm 7 months pregnant now, I can hardly hide that fact, lol. BUT, at least we can still pay for rent and food and will only be 30 days behind on our car payment.

Submitted by regbyandjulie on Thu, 05/14/2009 - 09:42

regbyandjulie

The Gov. is in on it with the banks, they regulate the amount the banks charge.I onced asked a bank why the had to charge me $25.00 for a .28 cent over draft , he said cause a person had to phsyicaly handle it and ti coveredthrir cost for the Teller . But you tell me how a computer should get it they do it all in cyberspace.It take a fraction of a second to do the calcalations by computers.
The banks should charge a small fee for over drafts and if you get a high balling frome one oveer draft it should stop all other actions untill you can come in and add the cash to make sure that it stops befor it goes any ferther.Banks have your Address as well as your Phone No.s Also we need to let the Gov, Know we need thr system fixed or they need to let younger people run thing Americans Dont work togather and we all give them the power to screw su all!!!!

Submitted by on Fri, 07/10/2009 - 04:06

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with this S**hole. I have had a similar experience, where someone stole thousands of dollars out of my account, and the credit union I belong to told me I should "live and learn."

I hope your matter got resolved. I am lucky that I had the ability to take their words and tell them to shove it--I was polite and offered to give them the opportunity to figure out that they would not benefit from being horrible, despicible men who damaged people's lives. They just wanted to be bank managers. They ended up in a major lawsuit with multiple court appearances and having to answer for their horrendous behavior. They money wasn't the issue any more, it was the principle.

I'm interested in lobbying against the criminals who run these shows. If anyone knows of a way to do this, we should all act.

Submitted by on Sun, 08/09/2009 - 23:15

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

I didn't resolve it, they took all the money I had in savings right after I gave birth to my daughter, to cover the overdraft. My car finally got repoed (again- it's gone), I had to use the rent money to buy a van and now I'm dangerously close to being evicted. It's just gone from bad to worse. We're probably going to declare bankruptcy and leave it at that. At this point, bankruptcy would be a step UP for our credit scores...

Submitted by regbyandjulie on Tue, 12/01/2009 - 11:14

regbyandjulie