Skip to main content
index page

JP Morgan Chase Bank Punishes Bad Check Victims

Submitted by kenny on Thu, 08/13/2009 - 08:35
Credits:
[Donate]

I received checks from other parties and deposited them into the bank account at Chase (formerly WaMu). Chase closed my account because 14 of the deposits were returned as uncollectable due to Non sufficient Fund in the past five years.

When I opened the bank account, Defendant said that they would charge Returned Deposited Item Fees, and fraudulent activity or excessive overdrafts were considered as Account Abuse. Defendant never told me that receiving bad checks was Account Abuse or how many bad checks I received in a certain time period would be considered as Account Abuse prior to close of the account.

I never issued any bad check, and my account was never overdrawn. When I received a Returned Deposit Item from Defendant, I asked the other parties to pay me cash, money orders or cashier checks, and sometimes I used the government's bad check program to collect the money. All these activities were not fraudulent activity or excessive overdrafts.

Receiving a bad check was not unsual, and Defendant charged REturned Deposited Item Fees. I was not able to know if a check that I received was bad or not before I deposited it. If Defendant intended to punish a bad check victim, they should let their customers know that receiving bad checks was Account Abuse. Defendant had the power to change any term, but when the defendant changed any term, the defendant should give me prior notice and allow me to consider whether to accept it or close the account and go somewhere else. However, Defendant changed the term to consider receiving bad checks as Account Abuse and close my account immediately.