Share post
Debt Consolidation Forums Banking and Chexsystems forums

Los Angeles DA Bad Check Restitution

member profile picture

Last November I accidently wrote a $42 check to a local merchant that was returned for insufficient funds. I got a notice from my bank that they had returned the check. I waited to see if the merchant resubmitted the check or to get instructions from said merchant on how to fix the situation. I have no recollection of ever receiving anything and it doesn't appear that the merchant re-submitted the check for payment.

Fast forward to this week (7 months later), I get a letter from the Los Angeles District Attorney Bad Check Restitution Program threatening a possible 3 year prison term if I don't send them $276.75 check and attend a counseling class. I did a little online searching and found out that this is private company under contract with the LA county DA to recover bad check funds.

I have no problem sending the merchant a new check to cover his costs...but I DO NOT want to pay for and attend a totally unnecessary class on financial responsibility. This seems like a naked attempt to make money and I'm struggling enough trying to keep a roof over my head and food in the house.

What are my options?

Dont think you have a choice. Did you ever contact the merchant to pay them directly when this happened??

Sub: #1 posted on Fri, 07/13/2012 - 17:51

Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 17319 | Credits: )

Page loaded in 0.887 seconds.