Skip to main content
index page

to file or not?

Submitted by on Thu, 10/05/2006 - 11:54
Credits:
[Donate]

i just have a few ?s regarding bk? ok 1st i have some old cc debt that up until 3 1/2 yrs ago i pd on.well in the last few yrs ive had hard times.. surprise new baby,high risk pregnancy, oldest dauhgter hit by a vehicle,, not that nay of this matters but i could no longer financially keep up.
well 1 card bought byanother lender is seeking judgment from me, i am goin tot eh hearing and have recently sent a dv letter because im not sure of the amounts..i talked to a bk attourney who told me that i would qualify for ch7 according to our income and family size but that it is more expensive to file now.. he did notreccomend it or say that i should not do it just that i would be eligible
i have 3 cc total including the 1 seekign judgment. also some hospital bills.i dont know if bk would be better or take judgment on the 1 and wait out sol on others wich is in 7 months

Keep in mind that one of the lenders is trying for a garnishment on you. If they win the case, the judge will force payments on you according to your present financial situation. Garnishments are done according to the laws in your state. Most cases happen guided by the federal laws, in which up to 25% of your disposable income is garnished. Remember, the lenders can get the judgment before the SOL expires in your state. If possible, try to contact the lenders and offer a 'settlement' on the debt. You might be able to get some discounts from the lenders. If you need professional advice and a counselor to handle your case, fill up the application form in this site. Someone will call and discuss on this.

Submitted by IncredibleHelp on Thu, 10/05/2006 - 13:35

IncredibleHelp

( Posts: 492 | Credits: )

unless you live in Pennsylvania, the Carolinas, or Texas, you will be garnished 25% of your disposable earnings for this type of debt.

Going to the hearing is the best thing to do. You will be able to plead your case. Bring along check stubs and w2s, you might possibly be able to work out a payment plan, or have the garnishment reduced. Make sure you show up, though..If you don't they can and probably will start garnishment procedings without notice to you.

Relax, you have a good chance of working something out. Remember.."judgement" does NOT always equal "garnishment."

Submitted by finsfan13 on Fri, 10/06/2006 - 20:19

finsfan13

( Posts: 6919 | Credits: )