Skip to main content
index page

Will debt in Germany follow me to the USA

Submitted by on Sun, 11/26/2006 - 16:47
Credits:
[Donate]

I am now living in the USA and my wife is still in Germany.We filed Bankrupcy in Germany and one of us had to stay in Germany for the court dates. I came to the USA to get a job, place for us to live and all of that, Now my wife says that they are not doing my half of the Bankrupcy. In Germany even if your married and file Bankrupcy its split down the middle. To top it off now my wife has filed for divorce and I dont know what to do. My question is can or will Germany make me pay that back ? I dont have it so if I have to pay it back can I file Bankrupcy in the USA for debt in Germany.
Please Help I am desperate and very hurt right now.

Per the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the laws in Germany and USA are different. You don't have to file for bankruptcy in USA for the debts held in Germany.

You have to start making your credit identity by opening new accounts with your bank as you are deciding to stay in US. There might be a problem if you return back to Germany some time later because the creditors there might have planned something legal upon your return. If you can arrange payments for those debts, you will have an easy mind. But there is no need to file for bankruptcy here.

Submitted by PassionHunting on Mon, 11/27/2006 - 08:03

PassionHunting

( Posts: 512 | Credits: )

my girlfriend is living in germany and is seriously thinking about going bankrupt because she owes too much money and simply cant afford to pay it but thinks once she goes bankrupt and eventually finds work she will still have to pay moey as she says the bankruptcy laws are different there than in england? can you please give me any advise on this matter?

Submitted by on Thu, 10/23/2008 - 08:09

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

I'm no expert, but, I ASSUME wherever you move to, you still have debts. If your girlfriend files BK in Germany, that's what it will say on her CR. However.......it doesn't matter where the debts are occurred, they are still on your CR. CR's are 'nationwide', I believe.

Submitted by sdchargers_63 on Thu, 10/23/2008 - 09:51

sdchargers_63

( Posts: 1798 | Credits: )

Bankruptcy laws are different all over the world and so is credit reporting. Filing a BK in Canada or Cambodia will not show up on a US credit report. For the most part, debts from other countries will not pursue you in the US....it is just too expensive to hire a CA and attorney in a foreign country.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Fri, 10/24/2008 - 05:14

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )

REALLY!!?? I din't know that. I just assumed wherever you had debts, the debts would 'follow' you. Wow...thanks for that information.

Submitted by sdchargers_63 on Fri, 10/24/2008 - 20:04

sdchargers_63

( Posts: 1798 | Credits: )