Skip to main content
index page

Help with debt collector as I intend to file bankruptcy

Submitted by rmalcolm on Thu, 12/14/2006 - 11:44
Credits:
[Donate]

Can I tell a debt collector that I am filing bankruptcy or what should I do. These people will not leave me alone. I have not sent a debt validation letter not a cease and desist - I will have to work on these this weekend. AMO Recoveries picked up my volunteer repo of my Harley which is the reason for my bankruptcy. It is going to take a couple of months for the bankruptcy to be put in place, paperwork, money, etc. Any suggestions? I have tried to work out a payment plan and they are not working with me at all.

Once you provide an attorneys name they will have to leave you alone. Bankruptcy puts you in a stay where creditors cannot talk to you. Best Wishes Kyside38

Submitted by KYSIDE38 on Fri, 12/15/2006 - 08:23

KYSIDE38

( Posts: 2477 | Credits: )

I believe a debt collector can still continue to call even if you provide them with an attorney's name that you have retained. Even though you have retained an attorney, you can tell the debt collector that, but they will continue to call until your attorney actually files the bankruptcy case in court and has a case #.

Submitted by brownsugar on Fri, 12/15/2006 - 13:38

brownsugar

( Posts: 1389 | Credits: )

1) A stay of collection is not in force until the bankrupcty has been filed in the court and there is a court case #. Simply retaining an attorney does not create the stay; the attorney has to actually file.

2) However, the fdcpa says a debt collector may not contact you if they know you are represented by an attorney. Once you give them you bankruptcy attorney's information, that should be about it.

I have seen this, though: bankruptcy lawyers often agree to represent a person, but will not file until they get paid. They might give the debtor several installment payments, which can mean it will be 3-6 months before they actually go file the case. If a creditor knows it will be that long before the attorney files, they might try to sneak in and get a judgment before the BK goes through.

Submitted by DebtCruncher on Fri, 12/15/2006 - 18:21

DebtCruncher

( Posts: 2293 | Credits: )

I think in a 7, it creates more of a leverage for the creditor to try to keep it from being discharged. They might try to argue to the judge that "there really is no hardship here, they just went bankrupt because I sued them." Ultimately it would be up to the judge.

I think in a 13, the judgment acts as a priority claim, which means it would be paid first before the other unsecured creditors.

Submitted by DebtCruncher on Fri, 12/15/2006 - 19:38

DebtCruncher

( Posts: 2293 | Credits: )

I would agree on them trying to get the judge to believe the only reason you filed was because of the judgment IF that was all you had to file on. But if you have alot of other debt besides the judgment i wouldnt see wher that would really matter. Thats just my personal opinion and I'm no attourney.And most attourneys you would talk to would tell you could file on judgments.

Submitted by on Fri, 12/15/2006 - 23:46

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )