Skip to main content
index page

Overwhelmed, please help!

Submitted by on Wed, 12/20/2006 - 14:06
Credits:
[Donate]

I feel very overwhelmed and don't know where to start. I don't have credit card debt but I have student loans, medical bills, repo car and I live from paycheck to paycheck and have no savings. I feel pretty tired to be honest. I don't know what to do! Would it help to file bankruptcy? My student loans have already offset my tax returns and that is the only time of the year I had any extra money but now that is gone too. Would a bankruptcy do anything about the tax offset? I'm in TN and I know laws are different for different states. Any real help is appreciated! I want to do something and fix my past mistakes! Thank you!

Stef, you need to sit with a counselor and find your options. Based on the limited info given by you, it won't be right to make a point. Filing for bankruptcy is a serious decision. You should have everything cleared and see that there is no chance of improvement from the present state. You will have to take credit counseling and qualify in the means test before you are allowed to file for bankruptcy.

Submitted by mcranberra on Wed, 12/20/2006 - 14:14

mcranberra

( Posts: 524 | Credits: )

Have you gone into rehabilitation program with the student loans? Or if you have did you default on that? There may be a way to reconsolidate those through Direct Loans. Laws do vary from state to state, if you don't own any property, like a house, and you say your car is repoed, you may qualify for complete chpt. 7 and not have to do a repayment plan with the bankruptcy. Contact an attorney in your area for a free consultation and review your options with him/her to see if this would best suit your situation.However, you won't be able to get rid of your federal student loans those will still have to be repaid if you qualify for a chpt. 7. But in a repayment plan they will stop any garnishments and be paid through that plan. Contact a bankruptcy attorney.

Submitted by on Wed, 12/20/2006 - 14:19

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

It is a federal loan so no they can't be discharged, but if it is a chpt. 13/repayment plan they can be included with that and paid on during the repayment period. And once the chpt. 13 is successfully discharged you would still owe the student loan.

I have only known of 1 person to get student loans discharged through a chpt. 7 and that is only because they refinanced them privately before filing a chpt. 7 five years later, so the federal government received their payment in full.

Submitted by on Wed, 12/20/2006 - 17:38

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )