Skip to main content
index page

Time Frame to file again

Submitted by on Fri, 12/29/2006 - 12:41
Credits:
[Donate]

I filed Bk in 10/2001 with my ex husband and finding do to my divorce I need to file again! How long do I have to wait and do they go by the file date or discharge date?

You can't file bankruptcy in the next six years. This begins from the date when your debts were discharged in bankruptcy.

Try to look into other options. You will be able to take care of your debts under one of the debt management programs. There are many plans as per individual situations. The counselor will tailor it according to your requirements.

Submitted by orake on Fri, 12/29/2006 - 12:47

orake

( Posts: 482 | Credits: )

Yes, I'm sure that's the way it works, Lorri - if you wanted to file the same chapter again, you'd have to wait the 7 years. But I have read stories of people who have filed a Chapter 13 on some of their debt and then a Chapter 7 on the rest. I don't know if that's under the old laws or the new ones - it doesn't seem it would be allowed under the new ones. Good question for an attorney.

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Sun, 12/31/2006 - 07:14

SUEBEEHONEY70

( Posts: 4583 | Credits: )

You will have to wait seven years before you can file again from the date of discharge.

Why are you needing to file again? Is there any other options that you have such as debt consolidation or contacting your creditors to see if you can make payment arrangements? I know that it is none of my business, but I would like to know how much your debts are? You might just need consolidation and not bankruptcy.

You only file bankruptcy when it is absolutely necessary.

Submitted by Alexandra on Sun, 12/31/2006 - 14:47

Alexandra

( Posts: 544 | Credits: )

I filed a Chapter 13 back in 2001 which was converted to a Chapter 7 and was dischargedFeb 2004. If I refiled a Chapter 13 in 2008 that was dismissed when and would I qualify to refile a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 again?

Submitted by on Mon, 01/26/2009 - 08:21

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )