Skip to main content
index page

Thinking about filing chapter 13 -- "PLEASE ADVISE"

Submitted by threesenough5 on Fri, 12/29/2006 - 15:24
Credits:
[Donate]

Ok, I am going to make a long story short. (if I can)
We found out in November of this year that our mortgage was sold in March of this year. We had been sending certified checks (because I am a victim of identity theft). We called in November because we were late with Octobers payement and would be late with November's since I had 2 surgeries. We found out that the mortgage had been sold and we were sending the payments to the wrong address. We tried to explain what happened but they said we had to pay the past due amount in full or they would foreclose.
We tried to send a partial payment through western union and they rejected it.
We found out it could take up to 6 months for a refund on the certified checks. We now know we should have sent all payments western union but there is nothing we can do now.
We don't know what else to do and the Sheriff's sale date is July 12, 2007. We have tried credit counseling and the mortgage company won't budge.
Any suggestions or recommendations? We feel chapter 13 is the only way to save our home.

threes -

Welcome to the forums! You have come to the right place for advice.

First, I would think long and hard about filing bankruptcy. Chapter 13 will stop the foreclosure, but it will also adversely affect your credit for a very long time.

If the sale date is not until July, 2007, you have some time. Can you gather the money to make the normal mortgage payments plus enough to make up the past due (by paying extra each month) by that time?

Also, if you feel Chapter 13 is your only option, be sure to discuss this situation with your attorney when you go for your initial consultation. I know others here will come along with more useful suggestions than I have been able to offer- please keep an eye on this thread for more info and possible solutions.

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Fri, 12/29/2006 - 15:28

SUEBEEHONEY70

( Posts: 4583 | Credits: )

threes--

July 2007 is long while from now, but if you feel Ch 13 is your only option, then discuss the matter with a bankruptcy attorney. In a Ch 13, it will stop the Sheriff's foreclosure sale, and allow you to repay your mortgage arrears, but you will still be obligated to make all future paytments directly to the mortgage company, and they can't proceed with the foreclosure. I'm not advising you to file a Ch 13, it is something you should discuss at the consultation.

Submitted by brownsugar on Fri, 12/29/2006 - 15:40

brownsugar

( Posts: 1389 | Credits: )

But what if the checks have been cashed by the company she sent them to? She didn't say for certain that they had been, but I would think that would complicate things somewhat. Then she'd have to go after the company that cashed them, wouldn't she?

I'm in unfamiliar territory with the cashier's check question.

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Fri, 12/29/2006 - 17:01

SUEBEEHONEY70

I know at my bank, if I purchase a cashier's check(certified check), it can be traced after 7 days to see if it has been cashed. If it hasn't, the bank will put a stop payment on it and re-issue me another one. I've never ran into a situation where a check has actually been cashed by someone, just one's that have been lost in the mail and a stop payment was issued by the bank.

Submitted by brownsugar on Fri, 12/29/2006 - 17:01

brownsugar

( Posts: 1389 | Credits: )

I went through the nightmare with a cashier's check. I paid my rent with one. The property manager called me and confirmed they received the check but that someone had stolen the checks from the file in their office. They asked me to put a stop payment on it and get another reissued. I went to the bank and was advised that it took 10 days to get a stop payment and that I would have to post a bond and also sign an acceptance for liability for the check if it got cashed anytime during that 10 days while the stop payment was being processed.

I went back to the law firm I work at and talked to one of the attorneys. He told me that since the property manager confirmed they received the payment, I had completed 'performance' as far as I was required to do under the lease agreement and I had no liability. The property manager, who wasn't happy with my answer, but there wasn't anything they could do about it.

Submitted by DebtFairy on Sat, 01/06/2007 - 22:36

DebtFairy

( Posts: 402 | Credits: )

Be careful about the chapter13 bk. Here's the scoop. Yes it will stop the foreclosure and reduce your debt greatly. However you will still have to make your regular mortgage payment every month. This is not the problem, the problem comes when you pay off your chapter13. The mortgage lender may then attempt to tag you for legal fees related to the original foreclosure. This happened to me just last year. After much running around and visits with an attorney I managed to resolve the issue but it was an enormous amount of work, not to mention the amount of time I missed from work. If you do decide to go with a chapter13 then be ever so watchful.

Submitted by on Tue, 10/09/2007 - 15:00

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Care is always advised with ANY chapter of Bankruptcy. There are many small details that the attorneys often forget to tell you - this may be a situation that could have been prevented had your attorney had the foresight to discuss this with you. Or maybe this is a new wrinkle that is only now coming to light - I don't know. I do know, however, that with any chapter of Bankruptcy, you have to be very careful. It's advisable to have a list of questions prepared when you go to your initial visit with the attorney.

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Tue, 10/09/2007 - 15:53

SUEBEEHONEY70

mortgage companies have a legal obligation to notify you when they sell the mortgage and for a 60 day period following the transfer of your mortgage, the new mortgage holder cannot report your payments as being late when sent to the former mortgage holder/servicer.

From another web site:

Don't know if any of this helps or if you have time to do anything about it. Good luck.

Submitted by dbcoders on Wed, 12/12/2007 - 08:55

dbcoders

( Posts: 36 | Credits: )

I live in tn and have a sale date on monday at 12pm can I go t o the courthouse and file early monday morning and stop the sale date? Please reply

Submitted by on Sat, 09/13/2008 - 14:53

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )