Skip to main content
index page

Legal Action by Payday Lender - Inclusion in BK Pending..

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Fri, 01/05/2007 - 15:52
Credits:
[Donate]

I have a payday lender that is being included in my Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, which has already been filed. However, the payday lender has not been added to the case yet - they will be by next week, I hope. The problem is the lender is threatening legal action by sending the sheriff to my job to "serve court papers". She says giving her the attorney's phone number doesn't do any good, because she needs a case number. I told her to call the attorney and get it - she won't. She is saying that she can't do anything until she gets the paperwork in the mail.

I realize the paperwork from the attorney is the key to getting them to stop calling with threats, but can she continue legal action against me up until she receives the papers from the attorney? My gut tells me yes.

Ideas anyone?

Quite possible!!

The pdl place needs your account marked with case number and put a note that you have filed for bankruptcy. They may try to put you in a problem, however chances are slim. But you should not delay sending the case number. You need to keep yourself in the safe side.

Submitted by Howard on Fri, 01/05/2007 - 15:59

Howard

( Posts: 310 | Credits: )

I am calling tomorrow morning with the case number, hopefully that will take care of the problem. I will inform her she should have the paperwork by the end of next week - I hope that will stave her off. This should have been included to begin with, but that's neither here nor there now - I just need to get it included and taken care of.

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Fri, 01/05/2007 - 16:06

SUEBEEHONEY70

( Posts: 4583 | Credits: )

Yes, they can still pursue legal action. If you have a case number, give that to her. Have you spoken to your attorney about this? If she wants a case number and it's been filed you should have this and I would give it to her, they may get "I'm filing bankruptcy" alot and need the number to confirm this info.

Submitted by WHEREAMI? on Fri, 01/05/2007 - 16:55

WHEREAMI?

( Posts: 5263 | Credits: )

I do have the case number and am giving it to her tomorrow morning. However, she said she can't do anything about it until she gets the papers from the attorney, and I'm sure you're correct, they probably hear the "I'm filing bankruptcy" story a lot, and some people don't follow through.

I just didn't have the case number with me when I called her. And she wouldn't take the attorney's phone number, so I will call her tomorrow with the case number and hope that takes care of it.

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Fri, 01/05/2007 - 16:56

SUEBEEHONEY70

Irish: The guy who says he can call up until the judgment is misinformed. Once a petition has been filed that should stop all collection action. This is why it's o.k. to give them the number over the phone along with your attorney's information.

Geez, some creditors just don't get it. My son filed BK this time last year. A couple of months ago we got a letter from an attorney in TX who was trying to collect on one of the debts that had been discharged. I did some quick research to know how to handle the situation and shot off a Cease and Desist letter to him advising him that he was in violation of federal law and if we heard from him again, my son was prepared to reopen his case and file a petition for sanctions against the attorney and the company he was collecting for. Never heard anything after that.

Submitted by DebtFairy on Fri, 01/05/2007 - 18:49

DebtFairy

( Posts: 402 | Credits: )

Sorry for my delay in answering - I'm extremely tired and stressed to the max tonight, so I'm limiting my posting so I can try to get some sleep. Kind of had the day from heck at work and it spilled over to home...so I'm kind of taking the night off. So please forgive my silence tonight - though I'm sure some might welcome a break from my chatter! :lol:

I appreciate the advice on this issue - it has been very helpful. This is a storefront PDL. I will give them the case number tomorrow, and the attorney's phone number, and will have the attorney fax the paperwork to them on Monday.

'night all...

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Fri, 01/05/2007 - 19:30

SUEBEEHONEY70