Skip to main content
index page

Owing IRS in active chapter 13

Submitted by marcia mayers on Fri, 01/26/2007 - 05:48
Credits:
[Donate]

What do you do IF for some reason you owe taxes for year 2006 and you don't have the money to PAY the taxed and your in an active chapter 13 plan.

Call IRS and talk to them they are very easy to work with they will let you know what to do while in BK.
This is one bill I never get upset about. They are nice and helpful..
Just be upfront and they will work with you.. I pay 100 a month for I would say the rest of my life.. :) and as stressed as I get when I have to call I always hang up and feel relief..

Submitted by Poptarts.mom on Fri, 01/26/2007 - 05:52

Poptarts.mom

( Posts: 407 | Credits: )

do you have to notify your lawyer though or trustee. I just have a feeling i'm going to owe and we just started this program, i'm on the second payment now. I just know i can't afford to have these payments increased in my plan........if the IRS will take $100 a month that would be great. I heard they don't charge penalties or late fees while in bankruptcy

Submitted by marcia mayers on Fri, 01/26/2007 - 06:03

marcia mayers

( Posts: 4 | Credits: )

years ago when I filed BK they stopped my payments so anything I paid went to the princable..
I owe about 6k over a couple of years..( I think this year will only be a couple hundred that I am going to pay on the 15th) but every year I owe I call and reset up the payment plan.. they will take what you can afford.. If I were you I would call my atty and ask.. BK's are different know then they were back when I filed 8 years ago.. see I have been paying for ever and will keep on paying... :lol:

Submitted by Poptarts.mom on Fri, 01/26/2007 - 08:15

Poptarts.mom

( Posts: 407 | Credits: )

In a chpt. 13 you can do request for additional funds to be "refunded" to you to pay for major expenses which arise. For example, you have a major car repair, your major appliance breaks down and you need a new one, or major medical expense are just a few examples to submit a request for a "refund" to cover expenses. I've been in a Chpt. 13 and on few ocassions had to submit a request for car repair and books for college. All of which were approved. Contact your attorney to find out the process and get it started. This may be one ocassion which would get approved.

Submitted by WHEREAMI? on Fri, 01/26/2007 - 08:27

WHEREAMI?

( Posts: 5263 | Credits: )

Excellent advice Steelers. I have also found the IRS good to work with and also my state tax department. KYSIDE38

Submitted by KYSIDE38 on Sat, 02/10/2007 - 12:32

KYSIDE38

( Posts: 2477 | Credits: )

I am not sure if you can include taxes on that, but like everyone has said, the IRS will work with you on payments. We just recently paid off some back taxes we owed through a payroll deduction, the IRS called it a Garnishment, but anyway, we paid $50 per payday because that is all we could afford. Talk to your attorney and see what they say and if it can't be included, call the IRS and talk to them and explain your situation and see what they can do to help you.

Submitted by 2nband on Sat, 03/10/2007 - 08:39

2nband

( Posts: 2277 | Credits: )